2020 Nec-- Equipment Grounding Conductor & Box Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This one my cause some issues with conductor fill in multi gang boxes

314.16(B)(5) Equipment Grounding Conductor Fill.

Where up to four equipment grounding conductors or equipment bonding jumpers enter a box, a single volume allowance in accordance with Table 314.16(B) shall be made based on the largest equipment grounding conductor or equipment bonding jumper entering the box. A 1∕ 4 volume allowance shall be made for each additional equipment grounding conductor or equipment bonding jumper that enters the box, based on the largest equipment grounding conductor or equipment bonding conductor.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are we the point where people just need to come up with ridiculous code changes and the CMP accepts them with little or no substaniation? Really, more than 4 each counts as 1/4, this is starting to sound like a joke. :slaphead:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Are we the point where people just need to come up with ridiculous code changes and the CMP accepts them with little or no substaniation? Really, more than 4 each counts as 1/4, this is starting to sound like a joke. :slaphead:

Yes, we are. It's a steady decline. I mean it when I say we need to go to a ten year code cycle.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The constant micro-tweaking is very annoying, more often than not unsubstantiated, and not in line with the real purpose of the NEC which is safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.