2021 IECC Controls for Hotel

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Occupation
Electrical/Lighting Engineer
I am working on a remodel for a hotel which includes replacing all hard wired and plug in lamps. The code will require hardwire fixtures and switched receptacles to be automatically turned off after 20 minutes of no motion. It does not say anything about plug in lamps NOT plugged into a switched receptacle. Does the IECC require that even these be auto off? I have always thought so as it seems the intent is to turn all lights off. However in a discussion with a collogue they seemed to think not.

1691100297608.png

Because this is a remodel I have a system thats pretty easy to install, basically a switch that has a relay in it that talks wirelessly to a vacancy sensor in the room. But this system wont work if plug in lamps are required because there is no switch. You would need a receptacle that has that relay in it that talks to the vacancy sensor. The "cheap" system I am looking at does not have this option.

What are peoples thoughts. Are we to include the plug in lamps? Or just as the code says, hardwire and switched receptacles only?

Thanks.