2023 kitchen receptacle requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If the unanimous vote of CMP 2 is not over turned by an amending motion at the 2022 NFPA annual meeting, installing receptacles at dwelling unit kitchen islands and peninsulas will be optional. No receptacles will be required by the code and will be left up to the designer.
There will still be rules on how to install receptacles if they are installed and those will include a complete prohibition of receptacles below the top of the countertop. The will be permitted to be no more than 20" above the countertop, or installed in or on the countertop.

It appears there will be a requirement to provide a provision to get power to any island or peninsula that does not have a receptacle installed when the dwelling is built. Little to no guidance as to what type of provision will be required.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
More dumbness from the CMP. And what sense does it make to say none are required but if you do install them then they must follow a rule? IMO they need some new blood on these CMP's.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am surprised that this thinking has come out of the CMP2-- why in the world with all the rational for safety etc are they going backwards... What next- one receptacle per room. I realize that some designs make it difficult to get a receptacle installed but to say none are required is very strange.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
If the unanimous vote of CMP 2 is not over turned by an amending motion at the 2022 NFPA annual meeting, installing receptacles at dwelling unit kitchen islands and peninsulas will be optional.
So your post is an early report of what happened at the CMP 2 Second Draft meeting? And the 2022 NFPA annual meeting is the next and last round of revisions for the 2023 NEC?

Thanks,
Wayne

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Do these reports provide a written rational explanation as to why the rules are changed?

No receptacles are required at the island because ......

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So your post is an early report of what happened at the CMP 2 Second Draft meeting? And the 2022 NFPA annual meeting is the next and last round of revisions for the 2023 NEC?

Thanks,
Wayne
yes, a report based on the voice vote at the meeting and that is subject to change when the paper ballots are returned as accepting a change to the code is never official at the meeting. However any rejections of comments at that meeting are official and will not get a paper ballot.
With everyone on the panel voting for this change, it is not likely that the actual balloting will make a change, but is subject to Notice To Make A Motion (NITMAN) and if that becomes a Certified Amending Motion, it would be voted on at the 2022 annual meeting.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
More dumbness from the CMP. And what sense does it make to say none are required but if you do install them then they must follow a rule? IMO they need some new blood on these CMP's.
I have never been convinced that the placement of dwelling unit receptacles is not a "design issue'. This just makes a choice to install a receptacle at these locations a design issue and not a code issue.
Part of the discussion indicated that in many cases the receptacles required by the 2020 code in islands and peninsulas are never used.

As far as the rules for the optionally installed receptacles, we have lots of rules like that in the code. For example requiring GFCI protection for receptacles in a detached garage. Providing power to a detached garage is not required. Or for sizing a wire type EGC in a metal raceway that in itself is an EGC.
The main restriction on the location of these optional receptacles is that they are only permitted above or in the countertop and prohibited below the counter top

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Actually I read Don's statement incorrectly. Because of the title used I assumed the ruling was for all kitchen receptacles but I see this is for peninsulas and islands--phew

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Do these reports provide a written rational explanation as to why the rules are changed?

No receptacles are required at the island because ......
There will be a written panel statement available to read when the second draft is published.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Part of this was the fact that the required island and peninsula receptacles were often installed below the countertop and that is a safety hazard. There was information presented on the number of injuries that have resulted from the cord being pulled and the cooking appliance being pulled off the counter.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Part of the discussion indicated that in many cases the receptacles required by the 2020 code in islands and peninsulas are never used.
I'm not sure who they asked but I use my island receptacles several times a week. I know that I'm not the only one. The requirement is to eliminate the need for extension cords.

I guess that they asked people who never cook in their kitchen.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I'm not sure who they asked but I use my island receptacles several times a week. I know that I'm not the only one. The requirement is to eliminate the need for extension cords.

I guess that they asked people who never cook in their kitchen.
And when you build YOUR house you install the optional receptacles. If you see the house and the new owner wants an island receptacle, you use the provided "provision" to install one.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I think this is a great change. We have seen a constant creep of code requirements for design issues, this is a step in the right direction.

I never installed recpts on my kitchen island and never needed them.

It is kind of hard to distinguish between design and safety requirements.

How many times we have installed receptacles and other wiring that is useless. I do have receptacles throughout the house and kitchen that I will never use.

One case in point, THWN conductors in outdoor EMT and yet water tight connectors are required, but, if it is in PVC
under ground (where we know it will be filled with water) it is OK.

Not trying to argue.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
It is kind of hard to distinguish between design and safety requirements.

How many times we have installed receptacles and other wiring that is useless. I do have receptacles throughout the house and kitchen that I will never use.

One case in point, THWN conductors in outdoor EMT and yet water tight connectors are required, but, if it is in PVC
under ground (where we know it will be filled with water) it is OK.

Not trying to argue.
I ran about 150' of 1 1/4" PVC and primed the pipe before I glued it. We came back about 2 or 3 months later to run the wire and there wasn't a drop of water in the conduit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
And when you build YOUR house you install the optional receptacles. If you see the house and the new owner wants an island receptacle, you use the provided "provision" to install one.
99.9% of people are not involved in the design of their home so IMO that's not a viable solution. Having to chop up your brand new kitchen floor and concrete slab to run power to an island isn't so trivial that we can just do it later and not when the kitchen is installed.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
99.9% of people are not involved in the design of their home so IMO that's not a viable solution. Having to chop up your brand new kitchen floor and concrete slab to run power to an island isn't so trivial that we can just do it later and not when the kitchen is installed.
That is the reason the accepted code language says that provisions for the future installation of receptacles in those locations must be made.

You can start looking at what you need to do to file a NITMAN :D

fishin' electrician

In what world does it make sense to require you to install provisions for something to be installed, when your not required to install anything that those provisions make available to you.

Never mind, I forgot, we are in clown world... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.