2023 NEC - 210.52(A)(2)(1)-Stationary 210.52210.52(C)(3)(3) last sentence, . What is the difference between "Stationary" & "Fastened in place"?

PCBelarge

Occupation
Electrical Training and Consulting
(C)(3)(3) -Fastened in Place. NEC definition: Mounting means of equipment in which the fastening means are specifically designed to permit removal without the use of a tool.(625)

(A)(2)(1) Stationary (as applied to equipment). NEC definition: Equipment that is not moved from one place to another in normal use. (680)

* The above 2 definitions are new to the 2023 NEC (fastened in place -revised). They are used in specific articles in 2020, 2023 NEC

**Scope of Art 100 - An article number in parentheses following the definition indicates that the definition only applies to that article.

I used Merriam - Webster's Eleventh Ed. to look up the 2 definitions, as Art 100 has specifically cited the above 2 definitions to articles of which, are not article 210, of which they have both been used.

-Webster's definition... "stationary. " Immobile

- Webster's definiton... "Fastened" "To make fast and secure"

I have a fair idea what has happened. The CMP added "stationary" without looking to see that Fastened in place, had already been used from a prior code cycle.
To me, this becomes an issue in the field, as already there are differences of opinion by inspectors. I am not sure why the same term/phrase for the different Sections could not be used.

Enlighten me.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Fastened-in-place: In-wall oven, counter-mounted cook-top, under-cabinet microwave, etc.

Stationary: Free-standing range, washer and dryer, refrigerator, freezer, etc.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The above 2 definitions are new to the 2023 NEC (fastened in place -revised). They are used in specific articles in 2020, 2023 NEC
No, the definitions are not new, nor has their scope changed between the 2020 NEC and the 2023 NEC. The notations "(625)" and "(680)" that appear after the definitions in the 2023 NEC mean that each definition only applies within the referenced article. In the 2020 NEC such definitions were at the beginning of each article; in the 2023 NEC they were consolidated to Article 100. Just an organizational change, with no change in meaning.

So those definitions are both irrelevant to your question about Article 210.

Cheers, Wayne