208/120V system 2-pole load a 2 phase or single phase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 208Y/120V, 4 wire system has some loads with 3-pole CB which are 3 phase, 1 pole CB which are single phase. But what about the 2-pole CB loads, are these considered 2ph loads or single loads? which formula is applicable in this case: current= kW/(208V) or current=kW/(208*sqrt(2)*pf)? thnaks

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
A 208Y/120V, 4 wire system has some loads with 3-pole CB which are 3 phase, 1 pole CB which are single phase. But what about the 2-pole CB loads, are these considered 2ph loads or single loads? which formula is applicable in this case: current= kW/(208V) or current=kW/(208*sqrt(2)*pf)? thnaks
Yes they are single phase loads. And it's sqrt(3) not 2. You don't need that in your calculations for 1ph.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

DrSparks

Occupation
the voltage is line-to-line plus neutral. I would consider it 2-phase, thus, the formula to apply is the 2-ph formula (voltage line to line, sqrt (2)). why is that consider single phase?

View attachment 2557426
It's not 2 phase. What device are you connecting that requires 2 phase and a neutral? Electric ranges and dryers require them but that's a multi wire branch circuit (MWBC). The internal circuits that are made inside the appliance are all single phase. For example: line to line for high setting on a burner... single phase. Line to neutral for the computer power supply... line to neutral... etc.

DrSparks

Occupation
To put it simply, you are using two phases of a 3 phase system. The phases are still 120 degrees out of phase. A 2 phase system has it's phases 90 degrees out of phase.

DrSparks

Occupation
I'm glad that we don't have this complexity in UK and Europe.........................:)
Are you saying you do not use 3 phase power in the UK? I find that highly unlikely my good friend.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Are you saying you do not use 3 phase power in the UK? I find that highly unlikely my good friend.

Not at all. My comment was about the 208V and the 120V.
We just have 230V single phase and 400V three phase.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
the voltage is line-to-line plus neutral. I would consider it 2-phase, thus, the formula to apply is the 2-ph formula (voltage line to line, sqrt (2)). why is that consider single phase?

View attachment 2557426
The load is supplied by a single winding in the generator, the A - B winding, making it a single phase. The load needs to be supplied by multiple windings to make it something other than single phase.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

View attachment 2557426
Although now very rare, "2-phase" is a real thing, but not what you show there.

epst-3e_14_17.jpg

However if you are from Europe, they call what you showed "2-phase", which can be confusing to those of us in North America, where we really do have it. We call it single phase.

gar

Occupation
EE
210802-2010 EDT

Two hots and one neutral from a 3 phase system are a 2 phase source. Any 2 wires from this source are a single phase source.

As soon as any source has more than two wires, then it has the possibility of being a multiple phase source.

DrSparks

Occupation
The load is supplied by a single winding in the generator, the A - B winding, making it a single phase. The load needs to be supplied by multiple windings to make it something other than single phase.
Or a single coil in a transformer

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
To put it simply, you are using two phases of a 3 phase system.
You are using 2 phase conductors.

I believe a source of confusion is caused by people using the simple word 'phase' as a noun instead of as an adjective.

DrSparks

Occupation
210802-2010 EDT

Two hots and one neutral from a 3 phase system are a 2 phase source. Any 2 wires from this source are a single phase source.

As soon as any source has more than two wires, then it has the possibility of being a multiple phase source.

What publication are you referring to? Again, what device in a home, commercial establishment, or modern industry would utilize 2 phase current?

If you use 2 phases of a 3 phases system and hook it up to a scope, just how many sine waves are you going to see, hmm?

DrSparks

Occupation
You are using 2 phase conductors.

I believe a source of confusion is caused by people using the simple word 'phase' as a noun instead of as an adjective.
Phase is a noun.

It is used to refer to a conductor carrying the phase current of a polyphase system. It could also refer to the phase of current or voltage in a formula. Either way it's a noun.

DrSparks

Occupation
Not when it is used to describe a single conductor as in 'for a 2 wire circuit you need to pull a phase and neutral'.
Of course it is.

If you said, for example, you need to pull a blue phase, then blue would be the adjective and phase would be the noun.

gar

Occupation
EE
210802-2051 EDT

DrSparks:

Take a two channel scope ( supply it from an isolation transformer to avoid a grounding problem thru the scope ) and connect the scope chassis to the power system neutral wire for the electrical reference point.

Connect channel A scope probe to one of the hot phase conductors. Get scope sync from channel A. Connect channel B to the second phase conductor.

Displayed on the scope are two sine waves with a phase difference between them of about 120 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.