208 three phase question

Status
Not open for further replies.
when is it required to install a neutral conductor for new 208 three phase equipment? I would like to skip the neutral in this case as it is a 600 foot underground pull, but I don't want to be out of compliance.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If thye system is grounded, a neutral is required to be installed to the service disconnect.
After the service disconnect, the neutral is only required to be installed when needed

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with Gus that the neutral is needed at the service but not at a subpanel if not used. If the owners insist on a neutral for future use then it can be sized as small as the egc but not any smaller.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Your code references for the above are 250.24 (C) and (C)(1).
Actually the code reference for feeders is 215.2(A)(1)- the paragraph after the exception. but you are correct for services.

The size of the feeder circuit grounded conductor shall not be smaller than that required by 250.122, except that 250.122(F) shall not apply where grounded conductors are run in parallel.

PhaseShift

If the owners insist on a neutral for future use then it can be sized as small as the egc but not any smaller.

Is this typically the approach taken when a panel is installed with no neutral loads at present, however there may be the possibility of neutral loads in the future.

If presnent neutral loads are just receptacles and lighting and you balance the circuits then can you sill use 250.122 for minimum size of neutral?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Is this typically the approach taken when a panel is installed with no neutral loads at present, however there may be the possibility of neutral loads in the future.

If presnent neutral loads are just receptacles and lighting and you balance the circuits then can you sill use 250.122 for minimum size of neutral?

Is that not what I said above??? :)

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I have installed load centers without a neutral and come back and found 120V circuits installed in them. Just a thought.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Sounds like the op is just feeding a piece of 3 phase equipment 600 feet away underground. Sounds like a separate building or structure-- I would like to know more.

Status
Not open for further replies.