208v 3phase vs 208v single phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMS1990

Occupation
Electrician
A 3 phase 208v machine uses a 50 amp plug 4W 3Phase. It is protected by a 3 pole 35 amp breaker.

Elsewhere there is the exact same 50 amp 4w 3 ph plug however it is only protected by a 2 pole 40 amp breaker and is only single phase 208v.

Can I plug this 3 ph 208v machine into the single phase 208 v plug given that it is the same plug configuration?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
A 3 phase 208v machine uses a 50 amp plug 4W 3Phase. It is protected by a 3 pole 35 amp breaker.

Elsewhere there is the exact same 50 amp 4w 3 ph plug however it is only protected by a 2 pole 40 amp breaker and is only single phase 208v.

Can I plug this 3 ph 208v machine into the single phase 208 v plug given that it is the same plug configuration?
Your saying they all are 14-50 R(P)?
Sure you can plug it in. The machine will single phase and probably won’t start.

EC Dan

Occupation
E&C Manager
While I don't think it's necessarily a violation of the non-interchangeability rules in 406.4(F) and 406.8, that single-phase receptacle really ought to be replaced with the correct type to prevent someone from accidentally making this mistake.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Definitely won't start if there is a 3 phase motor in it.
Agree, but OP didn’t say what the machine was.
Heck for all I know, it could be using all three phases to power nothing but 120V loads..

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No, a 3ph machine will not work when plugged into 1ph receptacle (not "plug"). As suggested above by the others, the 1ph circuits should have 3-wire receptacles, not 4-wire.

Presuming all are wired correctly, a 1ph machine should work anywhere, but you would have to rewire the 1ph receptacles to be 3ph for the 3ph machines to work anywhere.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
The OP lists their location as Ontario, so if this is under the CEC it is a violation of 26-7001 to not go by the NEMA chart
"Receptacle configurations shall be in accordance with Diagrams 1 and 2"
There are exceptions.
1642815864224.png

Attachments

• 50A4W.png
    50A4W.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 7

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
A 3 pole 4 wire receptacle could either be single phase H-H-N-G or three phase H-H-H-G . These are different receptacle configurations.

Unfortunately sometimes the ground does count (for example in SO cord) and sometimes it doesn't (NM cable) and sometimes two counts are given (plugs and receptacles where poles are circuit conductors but wires count the ground).

If you have both single and 3 phase receptacles in one facility you are supposed to use different receptacle configurations.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.