208v panel converted to 480v?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forrest C

New User
Occupation
Cabinet Manufacturer
Hello to everyone, let me first say that I'm not a licensed electrician. However, I have done an extensive amount of electrical work through varies jobs and for myself over the last 30+ years so I have a basic but strong understanding of it for the most part. This includes completely wiring 3 shops with 3ph equipment, multiple houses and doing minor electrical work in remodels. I also do most of my equipment repairs including electronics. I'm posting my question here because I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone else even seasoned pros.

I currently have a 3ph 208v 600amp panel with 600v capable breakers and a large 208v transformer "outside" from the power company. I would like to upgrade to 480v so I don't have to run step up transformers for so many machines and to reduce my power usage. I will then step down to my secondary panel for 208v.

My question is, will the panel support 480v? Being that everything is reduced in size when going up in voltage, wouldn't the internals be oversized for 208v compared to 480v?

FYI, if you respond with mathematical equations it won't help me, lol.

Thanks in advance!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
Reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking "Report" at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.