20A receptacle on MWBC

nickelec

No, but it is against the rules to have ethernet cables hanging sideways without proper support.

:p
Correct me if I'm wrong but, it is a violation to have multiple 20a receptacles on a 20a branch circuit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Correct me if I'm wrong but, it is a violation to have multiple 20a receptacles on a 20a branch circuit.
You are hereby corrected. A single receptacle on a 20a circuit requires a 20a receptacle, but not limited to just one.

Multiple 15a receptacles on a 20a circuit is an exception, if that's what you're thinking.

nickelec

That I know it's done all the time, can you have multiple 20a receptacles on a 20a branch. Ckt

roger

Staff member

So, if that were true you couldn't put multiple 15A recepts on a typical 15 amp residential circuit either.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
That I know it's done all the time, can you have multiple 20a receptacles on a 20a branch. Ckt

Larry answered you. You can have multiple 20 amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit. I am not sure what a multiwire circuit has to do with the question.

Look at any commercial job--- 20 amp receptacles on a 20 amp circuit all over. Do you think each receptacle has a separate circuit? Of course not.

kwired

Electron manager
You could have a single duplex with the connecting tab between them broke off and put each half on different half of the MWBC.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
I wonder what they think is going to have 20A plugs on it? I always laugh when I see 20A receptacles in residential. What for?

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
We once wired a government-subsidized apartment rebuild, and every circuit was 12g NM on 20a circuits with all 20a receptacles.

kwired

Electron manager
I wonder what they think is going to have 20A plugs on it? I always laugh when I see 20A receptacles in residential. What for?

-Hal
Even non residential, most anything that will have a 20 amp plug is something you probably want to run an individual circuit to and seems somewhat pointless to use 20 amp receptacles on multioutlet circuits.