20Amp Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

viclibo

In a residential bathroom, I installed an exhaust fan/light/heater that called for a dedicated 20 amp circuit. In New Mexico we have a state code requiring all 15amp and 20amp branch circuit home runs to be in #12. Since the fixture is 20A and run in #12 I installed 3- 20amp 1p switches instead of the usual 15amp switches. Any comments?

ultramegabob

In New Mexico we have a state code requiring all 15amp and 20amp branch circuit home runs to be in #12.

Homeruns on 15 amp circuits must be #12? what about the rest of the circuit, do you change to #14? that seems like a pretty odd code, and a good way for #14 to accidentally get protected with a 20 amp breaker....

480sparky

Then you would have to wire the whole place in 12 awg :cool:

No, just the HRs must be 12. If it's a 15a circuit, the remainder can be 14 on a 15a breaker.

........... and a good way for #14 to accidentally get protected with a 20 amp breaker....

My thoughts as well. If all your HRs are 12 in the panel, how does one know with absolute certainty that a particular circuit has 14 in it out there somewhere? I would hope 408.4 is heartily enforced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.