210.11(C)(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aking

1. Section/Paragraph
210.11 (C) (2) Laundry Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52 (F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.

2. Proposals Recommends New Text
Added the word SINGLE, plus the exception

3. Proposals
210.11 (C) (2) Laundry Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry single receptacle outlet required by 210.52 (F).
This circuit shall have no other outlets.

Exception: A duplex may be installed for the igniters of a gas dryer is with-in six feet of receptacle.

4. Statement of Problem and Substantiation for Proposal
As written in 210.11 (C) (2) there may be a duplex receptacle used in the laundry and
only part of it being used for the washing machine. Leaving the second part of the duplex open may tempt a homeowner to use a drop cord across the washing machine for an iron. If there is a shelf above the washing machine the homeowner may set the iron on the shelf and the homeowner might knock off the iron of the shelf and pull at the cord just as it enters the water.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: 210.11(C)(2)

Aking, welcome to the forum. :)

Leaving the second part of the duplex open may tempt a homeowner to use a drop cord across the washing machine for an iron. If there is a shelf above the washing machine the homeowner may set the iron on the shelf and the homeowner might knock off the iron of the shelf and pull at the cord just as it enters the water.
There is a statement that floats through here every now and then. Show me the body count. There are a lot of "may's and might's" in your substantiation, which you might want to tweak. :D

For an idea of where I am coming from on this issue, click here. As you will see, I'm biased. :D

mc5w

I actuality you cannot run an iron at the same time as a washing machine on the same circuit. Guaranteed to trip any 20 amp circuit breaker that is not Federal Pacific, Wadsworth, or Zinsco.

[ April 13, 2005, 03:26 AM: Message edited by: mc5w ]

luke warmwater

I disagree completely.

That's exactly where I plug mine in, and I've never had a problem.
Besides, you could come off the washer receptacle and add another receptacle on the other side of the laundry room that would be on the same circut. Ready and inviting for an iron.

As far as the proposed change, I agree with George.

jwelectric

aking
George has posted a great link that is full of debate on this issue. It might be good to mention the washer as either fastened in place or not. This would put to rest the issue of fanten or not once and for all

[ April 14, 2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

Status
Not open for further replies.