210.12(A)(6) AFCI. Dwelling Units.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmtjfw

Section/Paragraph: 210.12(A)(6) AFCI. Dwelling Units.

Deleted Text

(6) Where a listed metal or nonmetallic conduit or tubing or Type MC cable is encased in not less than 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete for the portion of the branch circuit between the branch-circuit overcurrent device and the first outlet, it shall be permitted to install a listed outlet branch-circuit type AFCI at the first outlet to provide protection for the remaining portion of the branch circuit.

Substantiation:

"metal or nonmetallic" means ANY, it adds no restriction or information to this section. The operative part of this section is "encased in concrete".

Inserted Deleted

fmtjfw

omit "metal and nonmetallic"

Has this been a problem in your day to day work.

Yes, certainly in two past lives / professions:

1) Software Architect with "rules" in software specifications that just added verbiage and had no logical meaning.

2) Chair of Town Planning Commission with zoning rules and laws ....

When you have a phrase like "metal and nonmetallic" my little brain spends some time trying to figure out what is excluded, then I figure out -- nothing. Granted just a bump in the road of reading the sentence, but a bump none-the-less. Also the use of "metal" as adjective, rather than "metallic" in conjunction with "nonmetallic" grates on my ear.

OK, I confess I am an pedant.:sick:

Status
Not open for further replies.