Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake Sr.

I've had several different answers from inspectors . A recept.branch circuit going to a 4' SQ Box for future use in tenant space on a 120/208 3 ph system has 3 -hots ,1 - neutral , 1 - ground (all # 12's ) . According to 210.4 A , B ,is a 3 pole breaker required ?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Under the 2008 NEC, most would say yes.
The only catch is "future". If there is nothing connected the load is not definite. If it's installed for receptacles in the "future then it's "future" calls for a common disconnecting means which in most cases is going to be a 3 pole breaker.
If your breaker manufacturer list a 3 pole "handle tie" that would meet Code. It is my understanding that not all gear manufacturers have or will have 3 pole "ties"

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't think you have a "branch circuit" at all. That phrase is defined as including everything from the overcurrent device to the outlet(s). The definition of "outlet" includes the notion of taking current for utilization equipment. You have no utilization equipment, and no way to take current (not yet, anyway). So you don't have any "outlets," and thus you don't have any "branch circuit." QED.
How about you simply skip putting a CB in at all :cool:
I think this it the right approach. You don't need a breaker yet, and it is safer not to have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.