210.63 industrial or commercial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

breschini1

Occupation
Electrician
I came across a picture and the discussion was about a AC unit and a few people mentioned a GFCI outlet. With some quick looking I found 210.63. Which says:

210.63 Heating, Air-Conditioning, and Refrigeration Equip‐ ment Outlet. A 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed at an accessible location for the servicing of heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle shall be located on the same level and within 7.5 m (25 ft) of the heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle outlet shall not be connected to the load side of the equipment disconnecting means.
Informational Note: See 210.8 for ground-fault circuit-interrupter requirements.

Exception: A receptacle outlet shall not be required at one- and two-family dwellings for the service of evaporative coolers.

I currently work at a mine site and I was thinking about all the HVAC units we have and none of them have an outlet nearby. I asked a coworker and he mentioned it's only for commercial. I said where does it say that? I believe, after reading this code, it should be followed on our job site. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is no distinction between this receptacle being required for a dwelling, a commercial, or an industrial site. If it's within an underground mine then the NEC wouldn't apply.

breschini1

Occupation
Electrician
Right, my coworker was convinced it only applies to commercial settings or residential. It will be something to look at installing.

Status
Not open for further replies.