210.8(B)(8) and 511.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete m.

I intend to write a proposal to add an exception to 210.8(B)(5) and 511.12 for the 2014 NEC.

Current verbiage 210.8(B)(8): Garages, service bays and similar areas where electrical diagnostic equipment, electrical hand tools, or portable lighting equipment are to be used.

Proposed verbiage for 210.8(B)(8): Garages, service bays and similar areas where electrical diagnostic equipment, electrical hand tools, or portable lighting equipment are to be used.

Exception: 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20- ampere receptacles that are not in a readily accessible location.

Substantiation: As currently written the requirement would apply to ANY 125 volt, single phase, 15 or 20 amp receptacle in the AREA that diagnostic equipment, electrical hand tools or portable lighting equipment is used. I do not believe that safety will be enhanced if receptacles used for door openers, ceiling mounted space heaters, permanent lighting, etc.. are required to be GFCI protected. If these receptacles are intended to have GFCI protection I was not able to locate the safety related substantiation to have every receptacle in the AREA, as described, so protected.

The verbiage in 511.12 is the same as that for 210.8(B)(8) and I will propose the same exception.

I welcome opinions:cool:

Pete

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
My opinion is that it might be an uphill battle unless you can substantiate a problem with the present wording. I expected problem with the requirement on garage door openers, etc but have actually encountered none.
Murphys law being what it is, the possibility of a cord being plugged into a "not readily accessible" receptacle (and remaining) outweighs a "supposed" problem. If you can document the existing wording causing a problem, the proposal would stand a better chance. Again, just an opinion.

edit to add: I have seen folks unplug the central vac recpt located 7 ft AFF and use it even when GFCIs work bench receptacles were available a few feet away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.