210.8 question for oregon

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
We have an amendment to 210.8
Says
Exception to (2),(5),(6),(7),(10): GFCI protection shall not be required for a single receptacle serving an appliance or a duplex receptacle serving two appliances if all of the following conditions are met:
a. The appliance is located within a dedicated space.
b. In normal use the appliance is not easily moved or is fastened in place.
c. The receptacle is labeled as “not GFCI protected.”
Receptacle(s) installed under the exception to 210.8(A)(2), (5), (6), (7), and (10) shall not be considered as meeting the requirements of 210.52(G).

I was in another county on Friday and saw someone out a receptacle behind the washer and tried to meet this requirement.
I never thought about not having the washer not on a gfci.
More I think about it the more it seems to work out.
It’s in a space for a washer machine.
It’s not easily moved.

What do you guys say

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
What code is Oregon under? Laundry is (10) in my 2020 and previous books. Many areas have this exception for laundries -- I've seen this in WA and Ohio depending on the year it was built. I find it annoying though if you need another receptacle outlet and none are readily available. What does a duplex GFCI cost now days when you buy them in quantity...

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
What code is Oregon under? Laundry is (10) in my 2020 and previous books. Many areas have this exception for laundries -- I've seen this in WA and Ohio depending on the year it was built. I find it annoying though if you need another receptacle outlet and none are readily available. What does a duplex GFCI cost now days when you buy them in quantity...
13 ish bucks but oregon has a heavily modified 2020 code. I wouldn't want to try to use this since to meet it you would need it low so you couldn't use it for an iron then.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
13 ish bucks but oregon has a heavily modified 2020 code. I wouldn't want to try to use this since to meet it you would need it low so you couldn't use it for an iron then.
Ya but if laundries are (11) then exceptions don’t apply like curt said must be something inspection is not catching.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Dang man I just bought 500 gfci and cheapest I got was $16 bucks each
Must be the beach rates cause everything is more expensive when I hear what others pay

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
IMHO using this exception to save money on the receptacle is a foolish economy.

I would happily use this exception to feed apparatus where nuisance tripping would cause significant loss, eg for a sump pump.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How about $12.525 each if you buy at least 16?

Includes 4 units ($13.92 /unit)

$55.67

Buy 4 or more $50.10 /unit

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
We never use that exception anymore.
The last time I used it was a few years ago for an old freezer that was tripping a GFCI in a garage.
Figured not easily moved, put a single in.
I started plugging the freezer in and immediately felt a slight tingle from the frame.
Turns out the EGC was broken in the cord and something electrical had faulted.
So they got a new freezer and GFCI went back in.
Now I figure if an appliance needs to put 5ma on the EGC its probably junk.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Must be the beach rates cause everything is more expensive when I hear what others pay
16 bucks is what north coast sells them to me for. No bulk order pricing from them but it comes with a cover and they have them ready to go no lead time so you need to consider that too.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
We never use that exception anymore.
The last time I used it was a few years ago for an old freezer that was tripping a GFCI in a garage.
Figured not easily moved, put a single in.
I started plugging the freezer in and immediately felt a slight tingle from the frame.
Turns out the EGC was broken in the cord and something electrical had faulted.
So they got a new freezer and GFCI went back in.
Now I figure if an appliance needs to put 5ma on the EGC its probably junk.
I'd use the exception for microhoods in a basement those still nuisance trip stuff.