210.8B GFCI and commercial kitchens and water heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
In looking thru code mostly 210.8B and 422 I have some confusion about GFCI protection

It seems to basically say all things in a commercial kitchen. Would a walk-in cooler be part of a commercial kitchen? As i read I imagine a typical residential fridge in residential no GFCI but same fridge in commercial probably yes.

Or would a residential or commercial hot water tank require GFCI protection? I can see no requirement. I believe it needs GFCI but I cannot find in code

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If they are direct wired then no gfci is necessary.

(B) Other Than Dwelling Units.

All 125-volt through 250-volt receptacles supplied by single-phase branch circuits rated 150 volts or less to ground, 50 amperes or less, and all receptacles supplied by three-phase branch circuits rated 150 volts or less to ground, 100 amperes or less, installed in the locations specified in 210.8(B)(1) through (B)(12) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thats odd to me seems like a safety work around cause am I correct in assuming same hazards exist.

I believe the reason for the receptacles to be gfci protected is because of their tendency to break down and loosen up connections, especially the ground. Less likely to happen with a direct wire

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Thats odd to me seems like a safety work around cause am I correct in assuming same hazards exist.

I believe the reason for the receptacles to be gfci protected is because of their tendency to break down and loosen up connections, especially the ground. Less likely to happen with a direct wire

And, if you mention the word "outlet" and GFI in the same sentence around here it's going to cause a storm of responses... :)

JAP>

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
Makes more sense now
And, if you mention the word "outlet" and GFI in the same sentence around here it's going to cause a storm of responses... :)

JAP>
You are correct as usual sorry GFCI receptacle lol. The verbiage is important.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
They often move equipment for cleaning, and if they move them farther than the cord allows, they have to unplug them. That's one of the reasons for the GFCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.