220.12 - lighting for hotels

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattWilliams

Occupation
Instructor
I'm studying for my exam and I came across a discrepancy in hotel lighting that I'm hoping someone can help me make light of.

Mike Holt's illustrated guide to understanding the National Electrical Code, vol. 1 states on page 160
"The minimum lighting load must be determined using the 3VA per sq ft unit load and the floor area as determined in 220.11.

Further, in the caption it states "No additional load calculations are required for such outlets. Use the 3VA/ft² unit load the floor area [220.11] to determine the minimum lighting load."

However, in the NEC book it states in the table to use 1.7VA/ft² (which appears to have been updated from a previous 2VA to account for more efficient lighting).

Is this a typo in the Mike Holt book or am I simply reading this incorrectly? Thanks.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I'm studying for my exam and I came across a discrepancy in hotel lighting that I'm hoping someone can help me make light of.

Mike Holt's illustrated guide to understanding the National Electrical Code, vol. 1 states on page 160
"The minimum lighting load must be determined using the 3VA per sq ft unit load and the floor area as determined in 220.11.

Further, in the caption it states "No additional load calculations are required for such outlets. Use the 3VA/ft² unit load the floor area [220.11] to determine the minimum lighting load."

However, in the NEC book it states in the table to use 1.7VA/ft² (which appears to have been updated from a previous 2VA to account for more efficient lighting).

Is this a typo in the Mike Holt book or am I simply reading this incorrectly? Thanks.
Is the Mike Holt book going off of the same code series (year) that you are working out of?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you have a log in you should be able to check the eratas

Status
Not open for further replies.