220V and 110v ckt same breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

I was looking at feeding a sign off of a parking lot lighting pole. The pole lights are 208 volt the sign 110v. Someone pulled a neutral out to the pole light which is not used. Can I use one leg of the 208 volt to get 110v? I do not believe I can but can not find it in the code. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks

480sparky

As long as the load does not exceed the ampacity of the circuit, I'd say it's legit.

After all, most slash-rated (120/240, 480/277) equipment does the same thing.... the elements in an electric dryer are 240-volts, but the motor and controls are 120.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Arnettda,

Let's start with the voltages in you post. You mentioned 220, 110, and 208 volts. None of these voltages exist in the same system. If your system is 208 phase to phase and 120 volts to ground, then you have a 120/208 volt single phase or 208Y/120 volt three phase system. Sometimes answers are dependent upon which system you're connecting to so for accuracy in the answers the proper system voltage will help.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the load of the pole light plus the load of the sign does not exceed 80% of the branch circuit then I see no problem as long as the DP or 3P breaker stays in place.

arnettda

208Y/120 is the system voltage. I want to leave the 2 pole breaker in place and use the one leg to feed a sign at 120v.

ryan_618

Yes you can. Change the breaker to a single pole.

That would seem to violate 240.20(B), as the circuit now contains line-to-line as well as line-to-neutral loads. The existing 208V volt circuit could use single pole breakers with a handle tie, but it now must be a two pole (common trip) breaker.

iwire

Staff member
That would seem to violate 240.20(B), as the circuit now contains line-to-line as well as line-to-neutral loads. The existing 208V volt circuit could use single pole breakers with a handle tie, but it now must be a two pole (common trip) breaker.

I agree and it's nice to see you. :smile:

ryan_618

Thanks Bob, its good see you (and everyone) as well. I have been so busy teaching lately I haven't had much time to post. In fact, last month I taught in a different state each week. Maybe with my new blackberry I'll be able to pop in more often. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.