230.2: Number of Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electricalhelp

The main incoming service to the building is 1200AMP/3P/208V
There is a C/T Cabinet and a Main Service Disconnect with a (8) Meter Bank (1 Blank Meter).
Each Meter has a 200AMP/208V/3P.

There were 7 stores but now now one store is taking over 2 stores.

I want to reuse the 200AMP for one store and I called out for a new meter from the meter bank for an additional 200AMP.
But the electrical inspector is saying 230.2 a building shall be supplied by only one electrical service.

Can a store have 2 separate service from the meter bank going into one retail space?

If so, what exceptions rule do I refer to from the NEC Code.

Last edited by a moderator:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The service stops at the main disconnect. There is only one service. There is nothing in the code that prohibits two feeders to a single occupancy. Note, this assumes that this is a strip mall type installation and there is only one building.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IF it's is deemed by the AHJ to be two separate buildings, the answer will vary depending on which Code cycle you are under.

Electricalhelp

The service stops at the main disconnect. There is only one service. There is nothing in the code that prohibits two feeders to a single occupancy. Note, this assumes that this is a strip mall type installation and there is only one building.
This is a strip mall installation but what if there is multiply service to the one building.

Do we just need to make sure it follow 203.2(E)

mbednarik

Occupation
Electrician
Are there fire walls between the units, separate addresses? 225 still limits the amount of feeders to a individual structure, but if you meet 225.30B you can have up to six, from your description it sounds like you meet 225.30B. So either these are not individual units so it would matter how many supplies or you meet 225.30B and it is limited to 6. They would have to be grouped though.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
This is a strip mall installation but what if there is multiply service to the one building.

Do we just need to make sure it follow 203.2(E)
If it's legally (construction wise) one building and more than one service is present it should have met one of the 230.1(A) thru (D) requirements and been approved by the AHJ in which case 230.2(E) would have been required. Artg 225 would apply to your install
If it's legally (construction wise) more than one building then each could have it's own service(s) and (E) would likely not apply.

Electricalhelp

Are there fire walls between the units, separate addresses? 225 still limits the amount of feeders to a individual structure, but if you meet 225.30B you can have up to six, from your description it sounds like you meet 225.30B. So either these are not individual units so it would matter how many supplies or you meet 225.30B and it is limited to 6. They would have to be grouped though.
I am assuming there is a fire wall and separate address for each tenant

jap

Occupation
Electrician
There is a C/T Cabinet and a Main Service Disconnect with a (8) Meter Bank (1 Blank Meter).

There were 7 stores but now now one store is taking over 2 stores.

I want to reuse the 200AMP for one store and I called out for a new meter from the meter bank for an additional 200AMP.
But the electrical inspector is saying 230.2 a building shall be supplied by only one electrical service.

Can a store have 2 separate service from the meter bank going into one retail space?

If so, what exceptions rule do I refer to from the NEC Code.

We've run into the same thing also more than once.

2 seperate metered feeders going to a single lease space is hard to get approved around here.

JAP>

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
We've run into the same thing also more than once.

2 seperate metered feeders going to a single lease space is hard to get approved around here.

JAP>
Same here. Our AHJs outlook is that "give it a year, it may be two stores again". They have at times requested plaques

jap

Occupation
Electrician
They better use what they got though,,,, group metering has become a rare commodity these days.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Seems in this scenario they are CT'ing the entire incoming service and are simply using the sub-meters to bill the tenants their portion.

Otherwise, I don't see the need for the CT cabinet ahead of the main with the separate meters on the load side of it.

JAP>

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Why aren't you treating each space separate even though the same business will occupy the spaces. Keeps the feeders and branch circuit separate.

Going back to your original question

I assume each meter has a 200A service disconnect? If all service disconnects are at one location, then past that point is a feeder, am I not correct?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Why aren't you treating each space separate even though the same business will occupy the spaces. Keeps the feeders and branch circuit separate.

Going back to your original question

I assume each meter has a 200A service disconnect? If all service disconnects are at one location, then past that point is a feeder, am I not correct?

They knock down the dividing wall between what was 2 seperate spaces, then, the power from the separately metered panels tend to start mixing together over time much like what happens when you remove the divider in your 3 flavored Chrismas popcorn tin,,,

JAP>

123ozzie

They knock down the dividing wall between what was 2 seperate spaces, then, the power from the separately metered panels tend to start mixing together over time much like what happens when you remove the divider in your 3 flavored Chrismas popcorn tin,,,

JAP>
Just spit out a mouthful of beer!

Status
Not open for further replies.