230.24 clearances over roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riograndeelectric

I am estimating to a job to run power to a new detached garage 2-20amp circuits feed over head to detached garage. the garage feeder will run across the back yard so no clearance issue here can maintain 10 foot clearance from house to detached garage

my question is the understanding of 230.24 thru 234.24 (A) exceptions 1,2 &3.the way I read 230.24 in regards to service drop conductors passing over entire roof of Detached garage and laying on the roof of the Garage . prior to Garage service drop conductors were at 13 ft above ground at the service entrance conductors.

the service drop conductors coming from the Utility Pole are now laying on the roof of the Garage so as I read 230.24 Thur 230.24 (A) exceptions 1,2 & 3 is I must maintain 8 foot clearance above the Garage roof, since the service drop conductors cross over the entire roof of the garage

am I reading 230.24 correctly?
Thanks.
Cameron

Last edited by a moderator:

iwire

Staff member
what no more comments on this. would aprreciate some more feed back on this issue.
Thank you.
Cameron

OK, nothing in Article 230 applies to those overhead service conductors as long as they are utility owned and controlled.

NFPA 70
National Electrical Code?
2008 Edition

ARTICLE 90
Introduction

90.2 Scope.

(B) Not Covered.
This Code does not cover the following:

(5) Installations under the exclusive control of an electric
utility where such installations

a. Consist of service drops or service laterals, and associated
metering, or

The code you likely need to comply with is the NESC.

Riograndeelectric

in the 2008 NEC Hand book there are several exhibts show service drop conductors/

such exhibit 230.exhibit 230.22 exhibit-230.21. while the service drop conductors are owned by the utility company. prior to the building of the garage the service drop conductors where fine as far as clearance
so I am confused all exhibits show the service drop conductors coming form the pole.

I have a call into our local utility company to see what the have to say.

what is NESC?

Thanks.
Cameron

iwire

Staff member
in the 2008 NEC Hand book there are several exhibts show service drop conductors/

such exhibit 230.exhibit 230.22 exhibit-230.21. while the service drop conductors are owned by the utility company. prior to the building of the garage the service drop conductors where fine as far as clearance
so I am confused all exhibits show the service drop conductors coming form the pole.

Yes and that applies ........ to customer owned overhead service conductors.

I have a call into our local utility company to see what the have to say.

what is NESC?

The NESC is the standard used by most utilities

Published exclusively by IEEE, the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC) sets the ground rules for practical safeguarding of persons during the installation, operation, or maintenance of electric supply and communication lines and associated equipment. The NESC contains the basic provisions that are considered necessary for the safety of employees and the public under the specified conditions.

http://standards.ieee.org/about/nesc/index.html

Riograndeelectric

Thanks Iwire.
great feed back I will hav to look up the NESC.
I think our local utilty uses some of NESC standards. "Xcel Energy Stadard for electric installation and use"
thank you all for all of your input.
Cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.