230-24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently did a 200 amp heavy-up on an older home. The power company has their wires installed down the property line (no vehicle or pedestrian traffic). Their wire drops down to about 11 ft. at the corner of the house and maximum POA can be 10 ft. 8 inches without installing a mast.
The inspector turned the job down citing a minimum of a 12 ft clearance to the drip loop.

Question: When can we use the 10ft. vertical clearance rule in 230-24(b)? Does the 12ft. rule apply to ANY portion over residential property?

Thanks in advance. I'll go out to the garage now and get my Rigid conduit and weatherhead :)

Paul

hurk27

Re: 230-24

10' when the voltage to ground is 150 volts or less

12' when the voltage to ground is 300 volts or less

15' when the voltage to ground is over 300 volts.

This is from 230.24(B)(1), (2), (3)

If you meet the 10' rule then the inspector is in error.

bob

The 12 ft is clearance over a residential driveway. The 10 ft is suposed to be the minimum at the lowest point of the drip loop. As you stated its in 230.24B.

benaround

Paul,

If you have 10' to bottom of drip loop, I would say your good.But I don't do residential work anymore,let's see what others have to add.

frank

pierre

The NESC - which is what the utility companies follow has a minimum of 12 feet from grade for the open conductors. Some inspection companies are following those requirements. The reason the inspection companies follow this is for the "temp card" (what the utility comp recognizes to release the 'cash register') to be recognized. This is exactly what happens in our area.

Thanks everyone!!

I talked to the inspector and he reviewed the situation and his comment was since it was "150 volts or less to ground" then the 10 ft. was O.K.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.