230.67 Surge Protection.

Madera Wil

Occupation
Deputy Building Official
NEC/CEC 230.67 (B) states, The SPD shall be an integral part of the service equipment or shall be located immediately adjacent thereto.
Exception: The SPD shall not be required to be located in the service equipment as required in (B) if located at each level distribution equipment downstream.
I want to make sure I'm understanding the exception correctly. I interpret it as saying that the SPD can be installed in a sub panel downstream. What say you?

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
That is correct. If you install the SPD on the line side of the service equipment (main breaker), this would be a Type 1 SPD. If it is installed on anywhere on the load side of the service equipment, this would be a type 2 SPD. Both are acceptable by this code section. If you protected them at sub-panels, each sub-panel would need a type 2 SPD. Just try to adhere to the instructions and keep the leads as short as possible with as few bends as possible.

TwistLock

Occupation
Electrician
230.67 (D) Replacement:
"Where service equipment is replaced, all of the requirements of this section shall apply."

While back I replaced an old Sylvania sub panel with new. No circuits added. 2020 nec. Client specified inspection, passed. Few days later my supplier emails that the SPD is available for pick up. (!) I forgot to install it. (well I didn't have it). Went back and popped it in but it made me wonder if inspector was lazy or if there's something I was missing, besides the SPD ??

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Big issue that initiated the need for surge protection at the panel level is that the use of all these AFCI breakers and finding that the surges are causing issues with the electronics in the AFCI. Don't know if the surge that is taking out the electronics of the AFCI is making the breaker non functioning at the overcurrent and short circuit levels or not.