230.71 Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
That pic is two main disconnects.
But they are still in same compartment. You can turn one off and still have the other one on while working on the one you turned off.

Kind of not really a problem for NEC to solve IMO. Yes 70E probably doesn't like this. If you needed to comply with 70E before you were doing what 2020 NEC now requires anyway.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Welcome to the discussion. (This is at least the fourth or fifth thread on this subject. Maybe you missed the other.)

The justification had something to do with NPFA 70E, if I recall what was said. I too generally find it to be a nonsensical new requirement. I'm particularly concerned with how AHJs will treat the addition of new breakers into existing service equipment that does not comply. Replacing energized service equipment certainly involves much more insurmountable dangers (for someone or other) than dealing with multiple breakers in a single enclosure. Not to mention cost

kwired

Electron manager
Welcome to the discussion. (This is at least the fourth or fifth thread on this subject. Maybe you missed the other.)

The justification had something to do with NPFA 70E, if I recall what was said. I too generally find it to be a nonsensical new requirement. I'm particularly concerned with how AHJs will treat the addition of new breakers into existing service equipment that does not comply. Replacing energized service equipment certainly involves much more insurmountable dangers (for someone or other) than dealing with multiple breakers in a single enclosure. Not to mention cost

Same here. I have a school building that had service upgrade to install window type A/C's (single phase service). Few years later, they upgrade boiler system, entire system including replacing old cast iron radiators with fan coil units and all new piping. Circulating pumps were three phase but building had no three phase. I told them we need to make a decision exactly what to do now so we don't end up making service upgrade again in the future, was decided this new system will probably get a chiller someday, so three phase equipment was installed to handle expected load when this happens. Ended up with I line panel with up to six mains, one being a feeder breaker for the chiller that still is not there. Will I be able to land a new feeder on that when the time comes, there will still be no more than six mains but they are in same panelboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.