Status
Not open for further replies.

physis

Is this meant to stop people from welding the service neutral to the panel buss?

I've been trying to imagine what this section is trying to accomplish or prevent but I don't get it.

Can we weld the ungrounded conductors to the busses?

Is it so service rated panels aren't manufactured with permanent neutral leads?

And why does it matter that "all neutral conductors" can be attached this way when the subject is disconnecting the service neutral conductor? If the branch circuit and feeder neutrals are welded to the buss then you'll need to provide a disconnect for the grounded service conductor because you wont qualify for the use of a "terminal or buss" that "shall be permitted" if the other neutrals weren't welded?

Is this just meant to provide a trick question for tests?

It's a means of disconnection rather than a disconnecting means right?

:confused:

hurk27

Re: 230.75

All this does is prevent a person from running continuous neutral through a service disconnect without providing a way to be able to disconnect it, I have seen where this was done. With the requirement to bond the grounded and grounding conductors at the disconnect it seems that this code could be eliminated? But then there are those who would still just strip the insulation in the disconnect and run it through the grounding lug which would leave it with no way to disconnect it if needed. :roll:

physis

I guess that would kind a make sense. I didn't think of someone threading the service neutral through a terminal. Why ever someone would do that. I suppose those people do need to be stopped. :D

That still doesn't explain the "all grounded conductors" part though. 230.81 doesn't get all weird about it. I think they're going out of their way to avoid actually saying outright that the neutral doesn't have to have a disconnect.

I like the way it starts out too.

"Where the service disconnecting means does not disconnect the grounded conductor"

Like that's an unusual condition that needs to be dealt with in some way. :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

"Where the service disconnecting means does not disconnect the grounded conductor"
This means that when you open the service disconnect it is required to open the ungrounded conductors but is not required to open the neutral. If the service disconnecting means doesn't disconnect the neutral than it must have a means to be physically disconnected without cutting the conductor. Someone may run the conductor through the disconnect unbroken.

On a large service switch this may be a link in the neutral buss that can be unbolted to disconnect the line side of the service neutral from the load side.

[ August 08, 2005, 05:07 AM: Message edited by: infinity ]

Status
Not open for further replies.