230V household voltage phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbishtei

Hello,

I am not an Electrician but an Electronics guy. The below question (and my solution) make sense from Electronics perspective however I suspect there might be some electrical details which I ignored and would like to hear a more qualified opinion.

Here's the story:

A friend of mine bought a semi-pro welder machine and wanted to ask me whether he could use it at home.

The device manual asks for a "230V Single Phase" supply voltage. It has a 3 connector plug: Hot, Neutral, GND.

I was wondering whether it is okay to use the 230V that is used for household appliances to supply the welder. The connection scheme I visualize is:
  • +115V to Hot on the welder's plug
  • -115V to Neutral on the welder's plug
  • GND to GND on the welder's plug

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to send me a private message to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report.gif
button at the top right corner of the post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.