24" of raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is very interesting indeed, however I wonder if that is the intent of the article. Do you really hink a box changes much from an LB. I suspect the heat buildup is the issue and what you propose wil not dissipate the heat, my opinion only.

Exaggerate the situation as Larry stated with a 50 foot run and boxes every 2 feet. Do you think the heat has a chance to dissipate? I don't

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Exaggerate the situation as Larry stated with a 50 foot run and boxes every 2 feet. Do you think the heat has a chance to dissipate? I don't
But, will it pass inspection? :confused:

If inspectors can argue using literal interpretation, so can we. :cool:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
But, will it pass inspection? :confused:

If inspectors can argue using literal interpretation, so can we. :cool:

I wasn't arguing code. Technically he may be correct but I am not sure I would do it. I would try to install another pipe but obviously that may not be an option.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I need to pull 20 circuits in about 4' of conduit including an LB. Ampacity due to conduit fill is a substantial reduction even for #10. Does replacing that LB with a box mid length, it is no longer one raceway but two of 24", get me by that minor detail?

We usually use 310.15(A)2 Exception where possible for this type of situation.

Isn't this a reason to use wireway?

He has 20 circuits, there's a very good possibility 376.22 will kick in, which will put him right back to square one. If a bunch of them are MWBC then he'd have it made.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Do they make a 5' 3R wireway that can be installed vertically?
Is it priced less than a small 3R box, and most importantly is one readily available near my location. See above right.

Making an installation code compliant is not all that difficult most of the time. The challenge is doing it with what you have in your shop or truck.

kwired

Electron manager
Interesting idea. Place a box every 2' and the entire run is now made up of nipples.

You can also fill the raceway to 60%.

Do they make a 5' 3R wireway that can be installed vertically?
Is it priced less than a small 3R box, and most importantly is one readily available near my location. See above right.

There is NEMA 4 and 12 wireways but they are likely more expensive than the small 3R box and likely not readily available to most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.