24 vac grounding one leg question with a 480 vac primary

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am not sure i am doing this correctly, my first time here.
i know artical 250.20, A says that ac systems of less than 50 volts shall be grounded under the following condition, if the transformer supply exceeds 150 volts.
i just want to make sure i am understanding this statement correctly.
if i am installing a 480 vac to 24 vac transformer in a roof top unit to supply 24 vac to a controller, for the contol system, like trane or johnson controls. this means that i have to ground one leg of the 24 vac side to ground?
someone brought this up today and i just want to make sure that i understand this correctly, and i know this has to have overcurrent protection, i just want to make sure i have too ground one leg of the 24 vac. i know it isn't done alot of the time.

please feel free to email an answer also, i will get it on my phone, i would greatly appreciate it! (because i may not be able to find the answers, new at this)

Thanks
Richard Rosebrock

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Richard, there is no need to ask for an email reply, your question will be better addresssed in a thread.

Welcome to the forum

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes, one side of the 24 volt system must be grounded. I have seen that many times with the control transformer supplied by the unit manufacturer when the supply voltage to the unit was 480.

THANK YOU MODERATOR, MY FIRST TIME POSTING, THIS IS A GREAT SITE,
I WILL KEEP COMING BACK AND CHECKING THE REPLYS
TO BE HONEST, I DO NOT THINK MUST PEOPLE ARE AWARE OF THIS REQUIRMENT TO GROUND ONE LEG OF THE 24 VAC IF THE PRIMARY IS SUPPLIED BY OVER 150 VOLTS.
I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE I WAS CORRECT IN MY UNDERSTANDING OF THIS CODE REQUIRMENT.

Status
Not open for further replies.