240.24(B) is this a violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Two dwellings on a single property, one old and one new Additional Dwelling Unit or 'ADU', both fed from one service.
Service is 200A goes to the first (old) dwelling, then a 100A feeder to the ADU.
Both are complete NEC defined dwellings, range, bathroom and sleeping, both pretty small so the load calc pencils out.

The ADU has a 100A main breaker panel.
Per 240.24(B) the tenants of the ADU would obviously not be able to waltz into the bedroom of the main hsoue in the middle of the night and reset a feeder breaker.

The exceptions are for multi occupancy and guest suites, and
there is more to the story, the ADU is intended to be an air-bnb so could it be both a guest suite and a dwelling per the NEC?
The ADU also is "an accommodation with two or more contiguous rooms" and fits the definition of guest suite pretty well, however
I wanted to get you all's thought and experiences with this as if they are both just dwellings as the air bnb could end any time and it could be sold as two dwellings.
Is this a violation of 240.24(B)? 240.24B.png

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I would recommend applying for a second address and meter for the Accessory Dwelling Unit. Is it over 500 sq ft ?

Last edited:

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I would recommend applying for a second address and meter for the Accessory Dwelling Unit. Is it over 500 sq ft ?
Yes indeed, thats what I would do, the owner in this case did get a second address for the ADU, but prefers one meter.
I would think this is a case where the management is likely to be on premises.
The way I read the two exceptions 1) for multi occupancy and 2) guest suites they dont seem to apply.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Technically it might be a violation
I guess it comes down to if NEC the definition 'guest suite' excludes a dwelling unit. Or can a guest suite also be a dwelling unit?
If it can then I think the exception applies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Just thought I'd update this post as it caused quite the hubub and had to go all the way up the AJH ranks to the top, while it seems obvious to me now, a detached residential accessory structure can meet both the definition of 'guest suite' and 'dwelling unit' at the same time.
And apparently ADU stands for Accessory Dwelling Unit not additional dwelling unit who knew?
So the occupants of an ADU do not need access to their feeder OCPD per 240.24(B)(1)(2)

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It may be a bit of a stretch but locally in almost every instance they are looked at as complying with 240.21(B)(1).
Fortunately in many cases the supply is from the meter per 230.40 Ex 3

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
It may be a bit of a stretch but locally in almost every instance they are looked at as complying with 240.21(B)(1).
Fortunately in many cases the supply is from the meter per 230.40 Ex 3
Yeah my first reaction was a guest suit has to be part of a hotel or commercial occupancy.
Then when I apply Charlies rules and re-read the definition it does not say that.
When the NEC wants to differentiate between 'guest suites' and 'guest suites of hotels, motels, and similar occupancies' they explicitly state that as in 210.6(A)

Status
Not open for further replies.