240 v incandescent light bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauldrees

At our amatuer radio meeting, one member asked the question: A 240 volt , 60 watt bulb , if wired to a 120 volt circuit will consume how many watts? I believe the brilliance would be half. He claims the watts would become 15. So, how many watts would be consumed?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
without getting into deep theory, I'd say he's right. Simply applying ohms law, 15 watts is real close.
If you want to play with the numbers, the resistance is constant (from a practical standpoint)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Paul, welcome to the forum! :)

Simply, since power is amps x volts, when the voltage is halved, so is the resultant current.

1/2 x 1/2 = 1/4

(This is presuming a constant impedance.)

Besoeker

At our amatuer radio meeting, one member asked the question: A 240 volt , 60 watt bulb , if wired to a 120 volt circuit will consume how many watts? I believe the brilliance would be half. He claims the watts would become 15. So, how many watts would be consumed?
More than 15W and probably much more. The resistance of the filament varies very significantly with temperature with the cold resistance being a fraction of the hot resistance.

quogueelectric

More than 15W and probably much more. The resistance of the filament varies very significantly with temperature with the cold resistance being a fraction of the hot resistance.
Then if the hot resistance were higher the wattage would be less.............much less. I am going with the 15w answer...............

Besoeker

Then if the hot resistance were higher the wattage would be less.............much less. I am going with the 15w answer...............
Perhaps I didn't explain it very well.
For the answer to be 15W, it would need to be the same resistance at 120V as it is at 240V.
But, at rated voltage and power output the filament would be significantly hotter and thus significantly higher resistance than at half voltage. The lower resistance at 120V means that the dissipated power will be more than 15W.

broadgage

In practice the wattage will be a lot more than 15 watts, about 22 watts in practice.
For a constant resistance, the calculations above are correct, half the voltage would result in half the current, which equals one qaurter of the wattage.

However the resistance of an incandesent lamp is not constant, it declines markedly at a lower operating temperatures, and the wattage will be appreciably more than might be expected.

Why not try the experiment ?

Connect a 120 volt 60 watt lamp to a 120 volt supply and measure the current, it should be about 0.5 amp.
Now connect two such lamps in series such that each only receives 60 volts, and again measure the current, it will be less than 0.5 amp, but not as low as the 0.25 amps that might be expected.

Safety note, any experienced electrician may easily do this simple experiment safely, any non-electrician reading this should think very carefuly before experimenting with line voltage.

dbuckley

Heres an actual example I did a couple of years ago using a 240V 500W linear halaogen lamp.

carparklamptable.jpg

Voltage and Amps measured, resistance and wattage calculated, supply is genuine sine AC through a variac. As can be seen the resistance of the filament is anything but constant...

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
If I recall correctly, the approximate equations are:

current is proportional to the square root of voltage
(meaning that if you multiply the voltage to 2x, the current goes up to 1.414x)
since power is the product of voltage and current, this means that power scales as the 1.5x power
(I checked a couple of points in the data that dbuckley provided, and got rough agreement)

The same set of equations said that visible light output scaled as the square of the power. As the light gets dimmer it gets much less efficient. This scaling does not seem to agree with the plots that gar posted, but this is almost certainly the difference between theory and practise, unless the photocell that gar was using is more sensitive to red and IR than the human eye. As the light gets dimmer, the spectrum shifts toward the red.

-Jon

gar

Occupation
EE
100315-0613 EST

winnie:

The photocell used was Clairex 505L. I do not know where any datasheets are at present. A Google search seemed to imply the response was similar to the human eye. "spectral response of clairex 605L" . However, I could not access the raw data of the Sage Journal, they want $. Similar problem on other sources that might have curves.

Found this reference for the 505L http://smartech.gatech.edu/bitstream/1853/1034/1/3269_001_01121976.pdf Figure 8, doing a find on 505L brings one to the figure quickly.

gar

Occupation
EE
100415-0837 EST

zappy:

As you change the voltage to a tungsten filament lamp the filament temperature changes and therefore its resistance changes. You need to know the resistance at the new voltage to determine the current and wattage at that voltage.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
100315-0613 EST
winnie:
The photocell used was Clairex 505L. I do not know where any datasheets are at present. A Google search seemed to imply the response was similar to the human eye.

Given that the equations for incandescent lamps are known to be approximate, I'm more inclined to believe the real data that you got than the results of the equations. I'm happy that the equation for power seems to agree quite well.

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.