240 volt recepts on kitchen counter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
No, but they may be prohibited if the appliance is under a certain wattage.

210.6(A) limits voltage to 120 in dwelling units, guest rooms or suites and similar occupancies for (1) luminaires and (2) cord-and-plug-connected loads 1440 VA or less, or less than 1/4 HP.

ultramegabob

210.8(A) is the general location in the NEC that you will find the information as to which type of receptacles are required to be GFCI protected. For Pools it is in 680.

thanks, I cannot look that up right now because my 2005 NEC is missing, I have been putting off buying a replacement because Indiana is changing over to 2008 and I will have to buy a new one anyway, right now Im just hopeing my 2005 will re-appear....

mivey

If the 240 was and probably is 120 to ground, then would it be allowed?
If not in "dwelling units and guest rooms or guest suites of hotels, motels, and similar occupancies" it would be allowed.

For the dwelling you have the additional language of 210.6: "the voltage shall not exceed 120 volts, nominal, between conductors that supply the terminals of the following". The equipment plugs into the receptacle and gets terminal voltage of 240 volts so it would not be allowed .

charlie

. . . Indiana is changing over to 2008 . . .
Probably will not happen until this fall. What is really interesting is the IRC (Indiana Residential Code) will no longer match the IEC (Indiana Electrical Code). If you wire to the IEC and are written up for an IRC violation, you will have to let the inspector know that you did not wire to the IRC. Of course, the opposite can happen as well.

By the way, nice bird.
image.php
Is it safe to assume that it is yours? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.