240v outside lighting, wanting to convert to LED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening,
I have been installing the Direct Drive Keystone LED 120/ 277V corn cob cluster lamps for the past couple of years.
I have bypassed the HID ballast in many of the outdoor bollards (3' high accent walkway lights) around campus many times as we are 277V there.

I just went on a job, started taking apart the outdoor bollards, removing the covers, bypassing the ballast, noticed the red and black, and then saw that they were wired to the 240v leads of the transformer...

Now I'm looking for a 240v LED cluster bulb but I don't think one exists, I'm pretty sure you need a neutral to make this work?
Now I'm starting to think about if I should consider changing one of the hot (240v) wires out for a white, neutral conductor back at the panel?
I certainly did not expect this and am very frustrated with myself for not checking this first.

Does anyone one have any suggestions? Would any AHJ's approve taping one of the wires white at each end knowing that it's an existing install? The conductors are number 10AWG, so they should be continuous white, but this changes everything.

The things you learn when you don't take the extra time to estimate the job properly.

Than you.

growler

Would any AHJ's approve taping one of the wires white at each end knowing that it's an existing install? The conductors are number 10AWG, so they should be continuous white, but this changes everything.

You are right and it's not really code compliant but I think many of us have done this anyway.

Will the AHJ approve ? You won't know until you try it.

JFletcher

Are your lights 120 or 277 volts, or 120 to 277V?
if they are the latter, and accept any range from 120 to 277, there is no issue. If the former, you could leave in the existing ballast and just change the taps provided you aren't contractually obligated to bypass the ballasts. I'm guessing a small 240 volt to 277 volt transformer could work as well, though maybe cost-prohibitive.

dpcarls1598

Master Electrician
Occupation
Master Electrician
I’ve used those and from the specs on their website, they are all 120 TO 277. I’ve been migrating fixtures to LED for several years and I’ve never seen one that isn’t capable of all voltages between 120 and 277 unless they are specifically just for the one voltage.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The lamp only sees voltage, it doesn't matter if they are both ungrounded.
And if there is a concern about connecting an ungrounded conductor to the shell of an Edison lamp socket, I believe that the Code requires only that IF one conductor is grounded, then that conductor must be connected to the shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.