240v sub panel fed 4 wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadavidson

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am looking for code section that states a sub panel requires a "4th" wire pulled for ground in lieu of driven rods. I find a section that says building or structure but not simply "any sub panel". I have also tried searching the archive of post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am looking for code section that states a sub panel requires a "4th" wire pulled for ground in lieu of driven rods. I find a section that says building or structure but not simply "any sub panel". I have also tried searching the archive of post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you thinking about a feeder to a remote (not attached) structure? I also say that ground rods are not a substitute for an equipment grounding conductor.

tadavidson

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here is the actual job. Homeowner pulls 240v 100amp 3 wire to a panel mounted on side of shed . Pool installer sets pum, switch leg, etc at panel area. I refuse to connect for pool guy because no egc is present. Homeowner says "his electrician" says I full of pow wow. I know it's wrong but trying to give him screenshot of code section. 250.32 says "serving building or structure" which technically this isn't.

Barney B

Occupation
Electrical Instructor/Trainer
Here is the actual job. Homeowner pulls 240v 100amp 3 wire to a panel mounted on side of shed . Pool installer sets pum, switch leg, etc at panel area. I refuse to connect for pool guy because no egc is present. Homeowner says "his electrician" says I full of pow wow. I know it's wrong but trying to give him screenshot of code section. 260.32 says "serving building or structure" which technically this isn't.
Unless the raceway enclosing the feeder conductors to the new panel qualifies as an EGC, it is time to walk away from this one.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Here is the actual job. Homeowner pulls 240v 100amp 3 wire to a panel mounted on side of shed . Pool installer sets pum, switch leg, etc at panel area. I refuse to connect for pool guy because no egc is present. Homeowner says "his electrician" says I full of pow wow.
My first thought is to walk away in a hurry, but we really need a full description of the installation. Is this a feeder with overcurrent protection ahead of it? Or what?

tadavidson

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
House has 200 amp meter combo. 100 amp breaker 3 wire 240 v underground direct burial to panel 70' away. Lands on MLO panel. Neutral landed on isolated bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.