240VAC marking on NEMA 5 recept, Europe

MFS-PDX-313

Occupation
Electrical design engineer, Industrial equipment
This may be a long shot, but I'm getting a bit tired of googling. That, and it's going to be awhile before my manager signs off on my purchase request for a copy of IEC 60204 that I can joyfully read through.

I need to build a system that is going to Europe and will require CE testing/inspection.

All my AC power devices come with either NEMA type 1 or type 5 plugs. Luckily they are all rated 100-240VAC.

Does anyone know if I can get away with using NEMA type 5-15R receptacles and simply mark them as 240VAC?

I tried looking for combination recepts that accept both type 5 and type 6 but could not find anything (probably for good reason).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This may be a long shot, but I'm getting a bit tired of googling. That, and it's going to be awhile before my manager signs off on my purchase request for a copy of IEC 60204 that I can joyfully read through.

I need to build a system that is going to Europe and will require CE testing/inspection.

All my AC power devices come with either NEMA type 1 or type 5 plugs. Luckily they are all rated 100-240VAC.

Does anyone know if I can get away with using NEMA type 5-15R receptacles and simply mark them as 240VAC?

I tried looking for combination recepts that accept both type 5 and type 6 but could not find anything (probably for good reason).
It is my understanding that the CE mark is a self certification and no third party testing....that is why the CE mark is not acceptable for products used in the US.

Todd0x1

what are your devices with nema plugs? can you replace the plugs with cee plugs? europe has different wire types and might not accept the cords on your devices though.

MFS-PDX-313

Occupation
Electrical design engineer, Industrial equipment
what are your devices with nema plugs? can you replace the plugs with cee plugs? europe has different wire types and might not accept the cords on your devices though.
The particle lasers can be purchased with different cords, but the small paristaltic pumps have a NEMA type 1 wall wart for power. My other option for those is using a DC power supply, but I'm not sure if I have the room for it (including the ventilation) as it would need to power four of the pumps.