240Volt Gounded B phase - Lighting Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues

I have a 240Volt grounded B phase panel. Would anyone have an issue if I wired 120-277 volt lighting to this panel. It is my understanding a fixture rated 120/277V is also rated for 240V. It is basically the range of voltage 120-277.

Dan Craven

blues

So - I f I understand correctly One hot from the fixture to one of the pole on the 2p breaker and the other hot to the neutral bar.

kwired

Electron manager
So - I f I understand correctly One hot from the fixture to one of the pole on the 2p breaker and the other hot to the neutral bar.
There is no neutral on corner ground system. You still need EGC's though, bonding jumper goes in the grounded phase at the service or at the separately derived system whichever applies. If you are using breakers good chance you have grounded conductor as the B phase bus in the panel just use 2 or 3 pole breaker, but as mentioned it can't be a 120/240 breaker it needs to be straight 240 rated.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
If you have a 3 phase grounded B system you have two _options_.

You can treat the grounded conductor just like a 'hot' phase. Use a panel with 3 insulated bus bars, with A, B, and C all on the insulated bus bars, and then use a double pole breaker to feed your 240V single phase loads.

Or you can treat the grounded conductor as a grounded conductor, and land it on a 'neutral' bar. In this case you only need a single pole breaker to serve the load.

In both cases, however you need breakers that are fully rated (eg 240V rated both line-line and line-ground) not 'slash' rated (rated 120V to ground and 240V line to line).

Additionally the 'neutral' bar has to be rated to carry full phase current, because there is no balancing effect as seen with a true neutral.

Probably easier and cheaper to just use a 3 phase panel and 2 pole breakers.

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.