24v Solenoid, potted submerged in a fountain?. Code inte

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystal

hello.. I work for a fountain company, we have a product where a low voltage 24vDC solenoid is potted in an enclosure (UL potting compound) such that all electrical connections etc are completely sealed in the compound. My question and interpretation is with this device submerged in a fountain pool, is it required to be UL listed. The solenoids themselves are UL listed, as is the power cord (submersible) the compound, cord seal and potting cap. the solenoids are powered by a class 2 power supply, that is gfci protected. The code and section 725 has been reviewed and an interpretation would be appreciated if anyone has run into this before. The overall amperage of the solenoid is 600mA
thanks
Dave

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: 24v Solenoid, potted submerged in a fountain?. Code inte

Do you manufacture the product or do you just utilize it? Are you manufacturers or an installation company?

james_mcquade

the valve and wiring will have to be ul listed for your application. the valves are ul listed, but for what application? the same question can be asked for all the devices you are speaking of. they are all tested and approved by ul for a specific set of guidelines and specific aplications. that doesn't mean these devices are approved for your application.

crystal

Originally posted by hbiss:
Do you manufacture the product or do you just utilize it? Are you manufacturers or an installation company?
Hi.. No we manufacture the assembly, that is we use a solenoid supplyed by another company and pot it into an enclosure (pvc pipe cap) and add the cord seal, submersible cable and pot the whole thing. We manufacture specialty fountain components and custom electrical parts.. some of which are existing products we modify by adding potting media and submersible cables etc for fountain use. The device in question is rated IP68.
Thanks
Dave

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Though the solenoid may be listed I don't think it is listed for submersible applications. In effect you are nullifing the listing by incorporating it in your submersible product. Further, there is no way to know what the listing or solenoid is because it is potted and the information on its name plate is no longer visible.

I would suggest that your company take the necessary steps to have the whole assembly listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.