24V Undercabinet Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

imt

I have tried reading previous posts on this subject and get conflicting information when wanting to use Class rated wire in wall for LV lighting.

The lighting system is a not a complete system. Its is made up of various parts.

- The transformer is a UL Listed Class 2 Transformer. Magnetic and dimmable.
- Line side hooked up to 120V Magnetic Type Dimmer.
- The LED lights are Low Voltage Lights.
- The proposed wire is a CM/CL2 or CL3 rated wire to be run from the load side of the transformer in the basement, of a single family residence and out the wall in the lightbar area under the cabinets in the kitchen above. Wire to be 14ga or maybe 16ga.
- Some cable I have lying around is Genesis Cable (Audacious Speaker Cable) Is listed as CM/CL3. with a stamped note "Power Limited Circuit Cable for use in accordance with NEC Article 725 Class 2 or Class 3 Circuits".

Under 411.3 - Part (B). I am using (#1) Low Voltage Luminaries, (#3) a Class 2 Power Supply, and (#6) Cable for the secondary circuit. They way I interpret it.

411.4 deals with wiring location and conductors running through walls, floors or ceilings. Exactly the purpose of my post. Again you are faced with two options. #1 (refers you back to chapter 3 "Conductors" for general wiring) or #2 which says "Installed using wiring supplied by a class 2 power source and installed in accordance with 725.130."

I am using a class 2 power source and 725.130 specifically deals with acceptable wiring on the load side of a class 2 transformer. I did not see anything under 725 that would disallow the use on any power limited cable that is rated for Class 2 or 3 use in wall. Basically it has to be rated for use and in residential Riser cable does not have to be used between floors, only CM or CL cable.

So is it acceptable to use Class 2 or 3 cable in wall for hooking up LV lighting connected to a listed class 2 transformer?

I have read others mentions that 411.3 (#5) "Cord (Secondary circuit) for which luminaries and power supply are listed for use" disallows the use of any old class 2 wiring since it has to be listed for use with both Luminaries and Power Supply. One can scour the internet and not find any CL2 or CL3 rated cable that is listed for use with 'Luminaries". Maybe this is where the issue lies. But..... when you read through this list again, item #5 - Specifically says Cords, #6 - specifically mentions cable. In the NEC, I believe cords are referred to under section 400 as flexible cords These can be flexible cords between two moving devices (Like an elevator or a crane) or a wire with pre-terminated ends, ala extension cord (Those things we know are not allowed to be run inside of walls). This basically is the cord that comes with those lighting kits or is used to connect to the LV luminaire which you then connect to the wiring run through the walls, under the cabinets.

So is Class 2 wiring acceptable for in wall use in this situation with a municipality using 2008 code? I see other say you must use 12ga cable for low voltage lighting in wall. Will meet with the AHJ but want to make sure I am on solid footing.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe if you are using a class 2 wiring system then it is legal to run the wires in the wall. Art. 411.3(B) applies and so does 411.4(A)-- seems like you are covered

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
- The transformer is a UL Listed Class 2 Transformer.

- Some cable I have lying around is ... listed as CM/CL3. with a stamped note "Power Limited Circuit Cable for use in accordance with NEC Article 725 Class 2 or Class 3 Circuits".

That's all you need to know. CL3 cable is actually better than what you need.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.