Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: 250.104(A), 250.104(A)(1)

Originally posted by shortcircuit2:
Maybe an exception to 250.104(A) allowing the AHJ to allow bonding in accordance with 250.104(B) under conditions where the building is fed with plastic water pipe.
If I go through all this for an "AHJ can approve" -styled text, I'll be disappointed. The local AHJ's will be amending things to suit their whims anyway. :)

shortcircuit2

That #8 will have to be provided with physical protection according to 250.64(B)...in RMC, IMC, RNC, EMT, or cable armor.

I would run #6 to avoid the additional expence :D

shortcircuit2

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

It doesn't have to comply with 250.64(B). It's not a grounding electrode conductor, remember? :D
I'm an idiot. I just re-read my proposal and realized how dumb that statement is. :D

I'd run #6 too, because stocking #8 and #6 is a waste of space. :D

So:
(A) Metal Water Piping. Where metal water piping systems do not meet the criteria for a grounding electrode as described in 250.52(A)(1), interior metal piping shall be bonded as required in (A)(1), (A)(2), or (A)(3) of this section. The bonding jumpers shall be installed in accordance with 250.64(A),(B), and (E). The points of attachment for the bonding jumpers shall be accessible.

(1) General. Any accessible point on the interior metal water piping system(s) shall be bonded to any accessible point on the equipment bonding system. The bonding jumper(s) shall not be smaller than 8 AWG copper and shall be sized in accordance with 250.122 using the rating of the circuit that may energize the piping system(s).
Changed to include Charlie's "not smaller than #8" fix. I'd like to retain the flexibility regarding the connection points, though. Any further review?

[ April 01, 2005, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

mc5w

I one time had to ground the drain pipe to a bathtub to get rid of a nasty tingle voltage. The bathtub was near the water service.

The place also has a properly grounded washing machine with a nasty tingle voltage on it.

The culprit was a failing underground electrical line about 30 feet long at the OPPOSITE end of the house. This was leaking 7 amps at 120 volts during a drought. The flow of current through the soil was energizing the drain pipes and the basement floor.

Hence, there needs to be a requirement to ground drain pipes and put grounded reinforcing mesh into concrete floors. How many GCs are going to let me ground and bond the floor mesh? H#!!, they don't even call for an electrician until all that is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.