250.122(a)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eprice

Dennis, I don't see an ambiguity here. Let me invite your attendtion to the fact that 250.122(A) does not say that the EGC need not be larger than the circuit conductors in the same raceway. It says the EGC need not be larger than the circuit conductors supplying the equipment. In your example, the circuit conductors supplying the equipment consist of seven 1/0's, so the EGC need not be larger than that. I think the present wording is clear enough, provided that the reader read all the words. Charlie's Rule wins again! :cool:

But, (F) requires a 2/0 in each conduit. seven 2/0's is larger than seven 1/0's. Does (A) prevail and only require 1/0's in the conduits, or does (F) prevail and require 2/0's in the conduits? I think, since (F) is a more specific rule, it prevails.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Dennis, I don't see an ambiguity here.

Not everyone is as literal as you are. Obviously there are many ec's who argue this as I have heard from a few myself.

Dennis,
So what was your proposal?

My proposal does not change the intent of that section at all.

(A) General. Copper, aluminum, or copper-clad aluminum equipment grounding conductors of the wire type shall not be smaller than shown in Table 250.122, but in no case shall they not be required to be larger than the circuit conductors supplying the equipment, except when run in parallel according to 250.122(F). Where a cable tray, a raceway, or a cable armor or sheath is used as the equipment grounding conductor, as provided in 250.118 and 250.134(A), it shall comply with 250.4(A)(5) or (B)(4).

They red has been deleted and the blue is new.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not everyone is as literal as you are. Obviously there are many ec's who argue this as I have heard from a few myself.

My proposal does not change the intent of that section at all.

(A) General. Copper, aluminum, or copper-clad aluminum equipment grounding conductors of the wire type shall not be smaller than shown in Table 250.122, but in no case shall they not be required to be larger than the circuit conductors supplying the equipment, except when run in parallel according to 250.122(F). Where a cable tray, a raceway, or a cable armor or sheath is used as the equipment grounding conductor, as provided in 250.118 and 250.134(A), it shall comply with 250.4(A)(5) or (B)(4).

They red has been deleted and the blue is new.

I think that your proposal can end the argument you say that you're hearing from other electricians. Since it changes nothing the CMP might not feel the need to include it in the 2014. It certainly may help to hear their comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.