250.148 confusion

slc410

Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Apparently I'm not reading 250.148 correctly because it seems as though everywhere I look and my inspector are disagreeing with me. So here we go....
If circuit conductors are spliced within a box or terminated on equipment within or supported by a box, all equipment grounding conductors associated with any of those circuit conductors shall be connected within the box or to the box with devices suitable for the use in accordance with 250.8 and 250.148 (A) through(E)

Now, isn't it laying out in black and white - "connected within the box OR to the box with devices suitable...."
So why would I have to bond the metal box when it is saying "connected WITHIN the box"
And in my point of view " or to the box with devices suitable..." is just saying you can bond EACH egc to the metal box with a screw or equipment listed for grounding and the metal box now is the path between equipment grounding conductors.
I'm hoping someone can shed some more light on this topic because my interpretation is apparently different than everywhere I look.

david

Apparently I'm not reading 250.148 correctly because it seems as though everywhere I look and my inspector are disagreeing with me. So here we go....
If circuit conductors are spliced within a box or terminated on equipment within or supported by a box, all equipment grounding conductors associated with any of those circuit conductors shall be connected within the box or to the box with devices suitable for the use in accordance with 250.8 and 250.148 (A) through(E)

Now, isn't it laying out in black and white - "connected within the box OR to the box with devices suitable...."
So why would I have to bond the metal box when it is saying "connected WITHIN the box"
And in my point of view " or to the box with devices suitable..." is just saying you can bond EACH egc to the metal box with a screw or equipment listed for grounding and the metal box now is the path between equipment grounding conductors.
I'm hoping someone can shed some more light on this topic because my interpretation is apparently different than everywhere I look.
Say for example you have gangable metal devise boxes. You gang five of them together, if someone is telling you that you can only use one 10/32 ground screw and one pigtail to bond the box, implying you cannot use the metal device box and multiple ground screws to comply with this section, imo they are not correct.