250.32(B)(1) Exception 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Hello all. I got a call for a RV box that was arcing like crazy. Found out they tapped the feeder to the house to supply this. The Issue I have is, the Service disconnect is across the street. The disconcert is about 40 feet away, and its only three wire to the house (4/4/2 Al). The house has no other means for disconnect. My Inspector told me to get ride of the disconnect and just install a meter and solve the problem.

The power company does not want to move it. its some weird j-box with multiple meter mains on it. I guess the power company used these a long time ago, in this Manufactured home park. I will post a picture tomorrow.

I meet all requirements to use 250.32(B)(1) exception 1. To use this It says " For Installations made in compliance with Previous edition of this code that permitted such connection" . I trying to find my old code books to check . I told my inspector and he said it was never code can't use current situation.

If I can use that Sections. I should be fine with lets say installing a Main breaker outside on the house. Then feeding the panel that is currently being fed.
Thanks

Last edited:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Yes, it was allowed prior to the 2008 edition (I think 2008). However, you would have still been required to have a disconnect at the house with the neutral bonded and a grounding electrode system attached to it.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
When it says “made in compliance from previous edition that permitted such connection.” Should I interpret that it means, even if the connection point of the grounded conductor was correct and permitted. The other code violation of not having building disconnect and GES.
Makes it so I can’t use that rule to put a building disconnect and GES at the building.
Trying to find the cheapest way for this lady she

Thanks for the reply also.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
When it says “made in compliance from previous edition that permitted such connection.” Should I interpret that it means, even if the connection point of the grounded conductor was correct and permitted. The other code violation of not having building disconnect and GES.
Makes it so I can’t use that rule to put a building disconnect and GES at the building.
Trying to find the cheapest way for this lady she

Thanks for the reply also.

Plenty of 3wire feeders to outbuildings , or in your case pedestals are considered 'existing' , with the ex to 250.32 B validating it when no other means of 'noodle' exists between the source and usage.

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.