250.32 (B)(1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I have been seeing installs of this set up, 100amp service set overhead on a pole with service disconnect.

Than feeder conductors are ran back up the pole and off the other poles overhead to the remote structure (tower site).

However they are only running triplex,2hots,1neutral. And bonding the neutral at the structure. Even in theory I don’t see a problem because there are no other metallic connections between the service and tower site.

But I believe it is pretty clear that one would have to run a 4wire over head cable and float the neutral everywhere else as in any other situation.

I know there are exceptions made for installs that were complaint with the current code in which they were installed, but this new.

Im not missing any way around this am I?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
It sounds non compliant. I have also seen them put the feeders and the service conductors in the same raceway up the pole which violates 230.7, but it must have been allowed in the distant past.
Oddly if they omit the 100A disconnect and just have a meter it might be compliant, as then they are just an continuation of service conductors.

Oddly if they omit the 100A disconnect and just have a meter it might be compliant, as then they are just an continuation of service conductors.

Yeah I try to stick with service conductors for as long as possible and avoid turning it into a feeder prematurely. I have found many people add a service disconnect when they don't need to on pedestals and I'm not sure why. Avoiding the disconnect allows use of 3 wire and 230.40 exception #3 for remote structures to also be served with 3 wire. Sign me up!

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
The issue here is the utility spec PG&E in their 'green book' requires:
For all metering equipment, applicants must place the main service
disconnect switch adjacent to the meter(s), not more than 10 feet away and
within line of sight. The main service disconnect switch may be located
inside an approved meter room or outside of the building being served,
while adjacent to the metering equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.