250.32 With Oregon Amendments

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Howdy, I went to wire a customers Pump house that is located about 15' from the house. His pump house and new well is under a year old. I went to open the panel up and noticed it had no neutral, fine and all for straight 240 volt loads. Though the home owner informed installer that he was going to be adding lighting and receptacle in there.

Home owner informed me a well driller installed all this from the Meter main on the house to the new shed and then to his equipment. So inspector said I could use OESC 250.32 basically allows NEW 3 wire systems that are in compliances to 2005 NEC to be installed. He also did not bond the Well casing or have a Ground electrode system.
There are no metal parts between the building. Though I have to bond the well casing and install a GES, so i don't feel comfortable with using the Oregon allowance.
If I was to do that I would have Objectionable current through the casing and the GES.
If some one goes bare foot out side and touches anything that is connected to the premise wiring they would be parallel with the Bonded neutral to the pump house, Correct?

Inspector informed me they had this code for the farms out in eastern Oregon that are miles long makes I can see that not posing a problem. But only 15' away seems like trouble. Am I misunderstanding the situation or blowing it out of proportion.

He also ran like 420% of bends so I Can't Pull the wires out, already tried :mad:
Informed the homeowner that we should redo the whole setup.

On another note turning him in for doing stuff he not suppose to.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I will turn down a job if I think the situation is unsafe and the owner refuses to remedy it. It doesn't matter to me if it's new, or 50 years old and never been a problem.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I'm in eastern Oregon and our shop does a lot of farm wiring, including working on farms that are miles long.

We still use ground wires between buildings, etc.

At 15' in your case, I would also change it to 4 wires. That distance isn't even worth talking about, we'd just correct it. I also didn't realize well pump installers could do feeders to buildings and install panels, etc. I thought they were limited to the branch circuits feeding the pumps only??

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
They are not allowed to, you are correct. I have turned him into BCD For doing unlicensed work, that sounds like it won’t really do anything. I was hoping you would chime in Cow.
This driller does a lot of work in your area from what I have been told.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
If I remember correct the intent of the exception was to to continue to allow overhead triplex in situations where utility overhead distribution was being converted to privately owned on a say a large campus or industrial site.
It should have some wording like
'Where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation'
Or just be deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.