Status
Not open for further replies.

jwelectric

1. Section and paragraph: 250.32 (A)
2. Proposal Recommends: X revised text
3. Proposal:
250.32 Buildings or Structures Supplied by Feeder(s) or Branch Circuit(s).
(A) Grounding Electrode. Building(s) or structure(s) supplied by feeder(s) or branch circuit(s) shall have a grounding electrode or grounding electrode system installed in accordance with -2-5-0-.-5-0- Part III of 250 . The grounding electrode conductor(s) shall be connected in accordance with 250.32(B) or (C). Where there is no existing grounding electrode, the grounding electrode(s) required in 250.50 shall be installed.
4. Statement of Problem and Substantiation for Proposal:
As an instructor of both electrical contractors and inspectors in the state of North Carolina the most asked question on grounding is about 250.32 (A).

The question I am always asked is, what is required of the grounding electrode system as a building or structure fed by a feeder? If a water pipe that is in contact with the earth for more than ten feet and then it is connected to a nonmetallic pipe is used as the grounding electrode is it required to conform with 250.53 (D)?
If a ground pipe or rod is used as the electrode is it required to conform to 250.56?

As now worded 250.32 only states that this grounding electrode is required to conform to the provisions of 250.50 and nowhere in 250.50 does it refer to 250.53 (D) nor 250.56.

-2-5-0-.-5-2- is a strile through of 250.50, and the bold Part III is added
This is ready all but the editing that you feel might be needed. Time is running short and this will be mailed Friday.
:)

[ October 03, 2005, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: 250.32

I see half a dozen of one, six of the other. 250.50 is the launch pad for Part III. It's the starting point. It's not illogical for 250.32 to reference it.

That said, it would be clearer your way, and is more literally correct. :)

You need to state you purpose in the first sentence or summarize in the end. I'd state the main purpose in the first sentence of your substantiation, and then start with the (for lack of a better word) anecdotes. Bulletpoint (*) your different 'anecdotes' to differentiate them. They look like one congealed mass. :D

I'm tired tonight, but I had to read it four times to get what you were trying to say. ;)

It's a good proposal, it'd be a shame to be misunderstood.

[ October 04, 2005, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

jwelectric

Re: 250.32

Okay George how is this one?

1. Section and paragraph: 250.32 (A)

2. Proposal Recommends: X revised text

3. Proposal:
250.32 Buildings or Structures Supplied by Feeder(s) or Branch Circuit(s).
(A) Grounding Electrode. Building(s) or structure(s) supplied by feeder(s) or branch circuit(s) shall have a grounding electrode or grounding electrode system installed in accordance with -2-5-0-.5-0- Part III of 250 . The grounding electrode conductor(s) shall be connected in accordance with 250.32(B) or (C). Where there is no existing grounding electrode, the grounding electrode(s) required in 250.50 shall be installed.

4. Statement of Problem and Substantiation for Proposal:
As now worded 250.32 (A) only states that this grounding electrode is required to conform to the provisions of 250.50 and nowhere in 250.50 does it refer to 250.53 (D) nor 250.56.

As an instructor of both electrical contractors and inspectors in the state of North Carolina the most asked question on grounding is about 250.32 (A).

The question I am always asked is, what is required of the grounding electrode system as a building or structure fed by a feeder? If a water pipe that is in contact with the earth for more than ten feet and then it is connected to a nonmetallic pipe is used as the grounding electrode is it required to conform with 250.53 (D)?
If a ground pipe, rod or plate is used as the electrode is it required to conform to 250.56?

By adding that 250.32(A) must comply to Part III of 250 would be all encompassing and include the supplementary addition of another electrode outlined in 250.53 (D)(2) and the resistance to ground of a rod, pipe, or plate found in 250.56 which is not mandated by 250.50.

Status
Not open for further replies.