250.4(A)(4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally non-current carrying electrically conductive materials... shall be connected to the electrical supply source.???
Why would you energize the raceway? That would be an effective ground fault current path!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Assuming you are referencing 250.4(A)(4), it is simply telling you that all conduits, raceways, etc. are to be bonded back to the supply such as service equipment.

Carultch

Normally non-current carrying electrically conductive materials... shall be connected to the electrical supply source.???
Why would you energize the raceway? That would be an effective ground fault current path!

What this is telling you, is that if it can carry current, AND SHOULDN'T, then it needs to be electrically continuous with the equipment grounding system. Because if it does get energized, it shouldn't stagnate the voltage of a live conductor. It should carry current back to the source, so that it can trip the overcurrent protection device, and de-energize the live conductor.

user 100

What this is telling you, is that if it can carry current, AND SHOULDN'T, then it needs to be electrically continuous with the equipment grounding system. Because if it does get energized, it shouldn't stagnate the voltage of a live conductor. It should carry current back to the source, so that it can trip the overcurrent protection device, and de-energize the live conductor.

:thumbsup:.

There was an excellent graphic that one of the moderators had posted before that illustrated this perfectly- maybe they can put it back up for the op.

kwired

Electron manager
They don't intend you to connect a raceway to the ungrounded conductors but rather to the grounded conductor - via the main/system bonding jumper. This will put that raceway at a relatively low voltage to earth and ensures a low resistance so that if it is faulted to an ungrounded conductor that high current will flow and will cause rapid response from overcurrent protection devices.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
:thumbsup:.

There was an excellent graphic that one of the moderators had posted before that illustrated this perfectly- maybe they can put it back up for the op.

Not sure if this is the one you're talking about but it is applicable.

1100199786_2.jpg

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Thanks everyone.
I missed a question on a practice test and I'm complaining about how the code is written.
Is it just me, or does it sound like the EGC should be connected to electricity?
Look at the illustration and follow the fault along the EGC to the winding of the transformer. It has to be connected to the source (the transformer for this conversation) to clear a fault, this is true of all grounded systems.

Roger

user 100

Not sure if this is the one you're talking about but it is applicable.

1100199786_2.jpg

Roger

This would be the one:).

To the op: as Roger says follow the fault in the picture back to the winding. All current, including fault current, is always trying to return to its source and with bonding of those metal parts mentioned in the illustration you have an electrically conductive, continous clear path for fault current to do just that, should a fault occur.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Thanks everyone.
I missed a question on a practice test and I'm complaining about how the code is written.
Is it just me, or does it sound like the EGC should be connected to electricity?

If you ignore the header "Bonding of Electrically Conductive Materials", the wording might be a bit confusing but I think once you take into account the word "bonding" it adds clarity.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks everyone.
It is, you apparently have some confusion with some terminology and electrical theory.

If you want more confusion, ungrounded systems are still required to utilize equipment grounding conductors.

Carultch

Thanks everyone.

Be careful with using the word "electricity", because it can be a very vague term.

Think of "electricity" as the name of a subject of study. Try to avoid using it interchangeably with concepts from within the subject of study. It is better to be more specific, using terms like "voltage", "electric charge", "electric current", "electrical energy", and other terms that identify what quantity about the "electricity" we are talking about.

So instead of saying, "copper is a good conductor of electricity", you should instead say "copper is a good conductor of electric current".

The EGC is a conductor that bonds together all equipment made of materials that could (but shouldn't) carry electrical current. It then is routed with the remaining circuit conductors back to the energy source. It will be bonded at EXCLUSIVELY ONE POINT to the grounded conductor of the system. At this point, it will also be bonded to an electrode with is in electrical contact with the ground. The connection between the grounding and grounded conductors shouldn't occur more than once per service/system, otherwise currents could be carried on the EGC.

Note the difference between groundING conductor, and groundED conductor. The groundING conductor (aka EGC) is the conductor that bonds together non-current-carrying metal parts, as a backup path back to the source for unintentional energization of metal parts. The groundED conductor (which in many cases is also the neutral) is a conductor at the same voltage as the EGC, but which also is intended to carry current under ordinary (non-fault) circumstances.

The EGC is either green, green with a yellow stripe, or bare. The groundED conductor is identified by either white or gray.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.