250.68A

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I see a lot of resi jobs where they are installing 2g mudrings and blank plates over the connection to the rebar sticking up out of the concrete in the garage to satisfy this rule.

The possibility of actually being able to get to it to service the connection through this access hole would be slim to none.

Was this rule put in place so the sheetrock could go ahead and be installed should the inspector not be able to get there to inspect it before hand ?
If inspected prior to being covered up, what would be the need of ever having to get back to that connection ?

Just curious.

Jap>

If inspected prior to being covered up, what would be the need of ever having to get back to that connection ?

Just curious.

Jap>
We get lots of calls in the middle of the night during a snow storm on a holiday to come check the grounding electrode connection. We probably do 4 per week on average.

Seriously though I have no answer. Likely just more silly NEC overemphasis on the importance of the grounding electrode conductor that's not based on any science incidents or statistics. And the NEC is like the phone companies, they never remove anything so the crap just builds up.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
There is no reason. It's just one of the things that the team of experts that sit on the code making panels came up with that we all have to live with. Since every rough inspection I ever had gets done before the sheetrock goes up there's no reason the CCE can't be inspected then, except, of course, because it's The Ground we have to keep a certain mystique around it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The NEC for some reason requires the connection to be accessible. If people weren't stealing the coil of copper left sticking out of the footing there would be no need to turn the rebar up in the first place.