250V 20A Receptacle GFCI requirements

KiwiSpark

Occupation
Electrical Design Engineer
Hi,
I am an engineer based in New Zealand designing some equipment that is going to be installed in the US. We have a transformer that will be supplying both 230V and 110V to feed some peripheral equipment (heaters, water pumps etc) in addition to the peripheral equipment there is a programming port being installed on the outside of the electrical panel, 110V double socket with two ethernet ports, for this I have selected a graceport socket that also has a built in GFCI and 3A circuit breaker.
There are also 3 230V 20A perpendicular style sockets that are being used to run air conditioning units. Our electrician had sourced some sockets from home depot when he was last in the US but these do not have built in GFCI protection and I seem unable to find any alternatives that do? So, I have been looking to swap out the breakers in the panel with GFCI devices, 1492-MGCAT220 by Allen-Bradley is what I have been looking at. I am just confused as to why the 230V version is 2 pole, perhaps because usually the supply is not coming from a dedicated step down transformer?
The sockets are designed to only have the air conditioners plugged into them and the air conditioners are supplied with LCDI integrated into the plug. Would it be compliant to label the sockets as not being GFCI protected and for air conditioner use only? I see their is a provision for grounding 590.6 of NFPA 70, the system is grounded, but does 590 only refer to temporary supplies. We could hard wire the air conditioners thus removing any chance of anyone plugging something else in, but we are expecting the air conditioners may need to be replaced semi frequently due to the harsh operating environment so keeping them easily swappable would be ideal.

Sorry for all my questions, I am very new to looking at American standards and conventions and things do seem to be quite a lot different to New Zealand.

Thanks you

KiwiSpark

Occupation
Ok so I have just caught up on how electricity is supplied into residential settings, and the 2 pole GFCI for the higher voltage makes sense, however because we are using a different type of transformers the 230V is not created by using two hot wires, it's just one hot wire and a neutral. So I am no closer to finding a solution as there don't seem to be any GFCI's that are single pole 230V, that I can find?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Ok so I have just caught up on how electricity is supplied into residential settings, and the 2 pole GFCI for the higher voltage makes sense, however because we are using a different type of transformers the 230V is not created by using two hot wires, it's just one hot wire and a neutral. So I am no closer to finding a solution as there don't seem to be any GFCI's that are single pole 230V, that I can find?
UL 943, the listing standard for GFCIs, says they are only for use on circuits where the voltage to ground does not exceed 150 volts.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
In other words a GFCI may not be required for your application by the NEC. See 210.8 of the NEC.
Depending what your project is I would probably use one of your standard RCD's on that 230V receptacle.

KiwiSpark

Occupation
Yes I agree adding the RCD's, whilst not needed for compliance in this case is still worth doing to give some protection in case the sockets are misused.