253V or higher voltage at some receptacles on a 120/240V, single phase service voltage system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
I think what they are trying to tell you is to go to the main service panel, on the line side of the Buck/Boost transformer, and take a voltage reading.

If you get 260v between the hot legs, then it’s a poco issue.

If its not, it’s probably on the customers side.

gar

Occupation
EE
210122-2141 EST

curious101:

You need to learn how to analyze a problem, and then create a clear statement of the problem.

You started off in your first post stating that the service was single phase 120/240. This implies a center tapped pole transformer secondary, and that the nominal voltages are 120-0-120 with one 120 having a phase shift of 180 degrees from the other when using neutral as the reference. You say "they" are experiencing 253 V to to 260 V at some receptacles.

In the first post you did not mention additional transformers. Thus. the assumption had to be that 253 to 260 was the voltage from the service drop at the input lugs to the main panel. Apparently not correct. You need to measure this input voltage, and also the voltages from the hot lines to neutral.

Later you mention buck-boost transformers. Then 208 pops up. Why in a single phase system do you use 208?

Step back and start over and provide a clear description of the system and what is needed.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
These are L6-30 receptacles and they are fed through buck boost step down transformer because we have to step down the voltage from 240V to 208V (per the equipment manufacturer's requirements). But this should not cause the voltage at the receptacles to go up, correct? So it must be coming from the power company voltage fluctuations, correct? Thanks!
This is critical need to know information that was left out of the original post. The short answer is the transformers are wired in boost configuration instead of buck.

gar

Occupation
EE
210124-2045 EST

Here we have another thread where the original poster starts something and then disappears.

I have some more information that curious101 needs to consider.

At my website I have several plots that relate to this general subject. Data was obtained with a TED 1000 power and energy monitor.

The data was obtained at my home, measured and collected over day like time periods, and plotted such that 1 second sample periods would show even on a 24 hour plot.

The portion of my website of importance is at http://beta-a2.com/EE-photos.html .

As I stated the time resolution is 1 second. This is determined by the averaging time of the TED 1000.

Most measurements were made at my main panel. Voltage is measured by TED from one 120 V phase. Two current transformers are used, but their outputs are summed so there is also only one current. The TED 1000 thus provides information on total power input to the home. Energy is measured over some time period by summation of of individual 1 second average power measurements. TED does use multiplication to determine power. This is quite good but does degrade at low power factors because of current transformer phase shift. The Kill-A-Watt EZ does a better job with respect to low power factor, but does not have other capability that TED 1000 has.

On my plots I have two curves, voltage and power, both based on the same time base. When looking at 1 second periods one of the plots has to be shifted by 1 second so that they align.

AT plot P26 you see a total change in voltage of about 1.5 over a 24 hour period with no spikes. The corresponding power plot shows a very much greater percentage variation, and many very sharp spikes. These spikes are motors starting. During this time period I primarily had two freezers, one refrigerator and freezer, and two furnace blowers as sources of the power spikes.

At P27 over a 4 hour period from P26 you can more easily see the lack of voltage change from the power load spikes.

At P28 is daily data for an almost 2 month period.

My pole transformer is a single phase center tapped secondary. I believe at the time of this data, 2011, that the transformer was close to my home and a 25 kVA unit. Service lines were about 50 ft long and large. Now I have a 50 kVA transformer with an additional 80 ft or so of wimpy wires.

In plots P29 and P30 I moved the TED to the far end of my garage at the input to a freezer. About 100 feet or so from the main panel. There are a variety of wire sizes and several breakers to get here.

In these plots you see considerable variation in supply voltage at the freezer from the impedance of the supply to this point. Note; the approximate 5 V drop on motor starting. This would cause considerable flicker of an incandescent or most LEDs if plugged in at this same destination. Notice how large the motor starting power spikes are compared to running power. All how power droops over time.

gar

Occupation
EE
210124-2217 EST

In my last post "AT plot 26" should be "At plot 26".

Also "All how" should be "Also how".

There are major crashing problems with this site, and errors can not be corrected within the editing time limit.

kwired

Electron manager
That was my suspicion too, but they claim that they have the correct transformer. The problem is that I am not at the site. Thank you!
Correct transformer can still be connected wrong and boost voltage instead of bucking it. That is why you were earlier asked what incoming service voltage is. If that is in the correct nominal range then you likely have incorrectly connected buck boost supplying the receptacles that are reading high.

curious101

Status
Not open for further replies.