25amp breaker with #12 wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed #12 wire as per drawings on several 20amp dedicated circuits for exercise equipment. The problem being the equipment arrived today 19amps each. :mad: The outlets are in floorboxes with a 3/4 PVC. Can I just change the breakers to 25amp or do I have to pull #10 wire.

volt101

Re: 25amp breaker with #12 wire

Is the equipment hardwired or cord and plug?
Do the nameplates have min circuit size, hp rating or any other data?
Continuously loaded?

Need more input!

Jim

The equipment plugs in to a floor outlet, and the cord is only #12. Without takeing the hole thing apart I can only see one plate and it is marked 19amps.

physis

I can't imagine anybody walking on it for three hours. And it probably doesn't draw that continuously.

If it's not a continuous load and it's on an individual branch circuit then a 19 amp load on a 20 amp circuit is permissable no?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

What size plug is on the equipment, 20A or 30A?

Unless you are hardwiring the equipment the NEC stops at the outlet. Size the branch circuit for the receptacle.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

The 20 amp breaker protects the #12 conductors from the breaker to the receptacle. If there were any real reason to replace the breaker with a 25 amp breaker, then you would also have to replace the #12 conductors with #10.

But there is no reason to replace the breaker in this case, as the others have said. Let me add that if you are talking about the attachment cord for the treadmill being a #12, then that is a flexible cord, and it can take over 25 amps with no problems. But once again, the breaker is not there to protect the attachment (flexible) cord, it is there to protect the (permanent) wiring inside the walls.

iwire

Staff member

I agree with Sam, (physis) these are not continuous loads so 19 amps on a 20 amp branch circuit is fine as long as you use a single receptacle. 210.21(B)(1).

the configuration of the cord cap is........well I don,t know how you call it but one prong is sideways and the other is normal.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by Tom.Margillo:
the configuration of the cord cap is........well I don,t know how you call it but one prong is sideways and the other is normal.
That sounds like a NEMA 5-20P or in other words a 120 volt 20 amp plug.

Does it look like this?

prod_NEMA520P.jpg

If you ask your supply house for NEMA 5-20R single receptacles you will be all set.

If on the outside chance the 20 amp breaker does not hold you can not simply install a larger breaker. At that point it would be a problem for the manufacturer to solve.

paul

Plug 'em in and rock'n'roll. Your installation sounds perfectly legal to me.

Edit...plug in the machines, not the 25A breakers. ;)

[ July 22, 2005, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: paul ]

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by marinesgt0411:
sounds to me like you may have a 240 volt 20 amp plug
Why would you think that?

Here is what was described.

Originally posted by Tom.Margillo:
Here is a 20 amp 120 plug.

:D

[ July 22, 2005, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by hardworkingstiff:
Why not plug it in, and check the amps with your meter at the panel?
HWS, what would that do?

If it draws 22 amps he can not install a larger cord cap to feed it with a bigger breaker.

It must be installed per listing and labeling.

If is has a 20 amp cord cap then the OCP must be no more than 20 amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.