277/480

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

Re: 277/480

How do you not combine them? Every line is 277 to ground.....and there is no requirement to separate three phase from single phase.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Renosteinke is right. In addition, both 277 and 480 will have the same class of insulation (i.e., 600V). So neither will impose a threat to the other. Here?s what I mean: A major reason that we don?t (for example) put a 4160V cable alongside a 480V cable is that a breakdown of the 4kV cable?s insulation might impose every bit of 4160V on the 480V cable?s insulation, and it could not take that stress. Two cables of the same voltage class would not have this concern.

i will like to add 2 cent of worth of fair warning as far 277/480 volts you are ok but do not i will repeat do not mix 120 volts with 480 volts or 120 volts with 277 volts due the voltage diffrance and btw the breaker are rated diffrent for each voltage one class will be under 250 volts and the other is 250 and OVER volts btw that mean line to line not line to ground it will somehow little diffrent but the rules apply the same way so be aware of diffent voltages to advoid suprises

merci marc

Status
Not open for further replies.